ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they have used the colortune indicator for adjusting SU carbs? Does it work? Or waste of money? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> Can anyone tell me if they have used the
> colortune indicator for adjusting SU carbs?
> Does it work? Or waste of money? Thanks Jim

I tried a colour tune and got sick of trying to get any sense out of it, I took it back and got my money back. I found it vey difficult to keep the viewing tube assembled with the little mirror so I could see the color, it seemed to be only firing intermittantly unless the engine was reved at idle the color flashes were very hard to make out, it may have been my inexperience with the unit but I was able to set up the carbs much better and quicker than with the colrtune
Howard

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Can anyone tell me if they have used the
> colortune indicator for adjusting SU carbs?
> Does it work? Or waste of money? Thanks Jim

I have the colortune tool and have found it to work quite well. It does take a little getting used to but after the inital fooling around and finding the best light to work in it's pretty easy. I got better results using in inside my garage with it a little dark. It was real good for my tripple mikuni's as there are some jets that are hard to tell like the air correction jets and with the colortune I was able to get the carbs better set up for the whole RPM range. It really makes a big difference having the engine tuned up and the carbs sync'ed or you get unstable results, I don't know what kind of carbs your thinking of using it on though it will work on all types. If you are going to use it for Mikuni's or webbers (tripple setup) I'd also recomend a Manometer tool for sync'ing the carb setup, much MUCH better than a airflow meter like the unisync gauge. They are sold at local motorcycle shops for $60.00-$70.00 and are well worth it, even if just using a dual webber setup. I don't know how it would work with the standard Z SU's but for other multi carb setups there is no better or easier way to sync them. With these 2 tools I got my 280Z working super well, and in only takes 10min to sync a tripple mikuni setup with the Manometer tool. This is what motorcycle shops sync the mult-carb motorcycles with and it works just as well with car carbs..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.