ZCar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently bought my 1973 Datsun 240z (build date 9/72) and have no idea of the history as I bought it from a dealer here in Los Angeles. I'd love to know anything anyone could tell me about its past! Therefore if anyone recognizes the car then perhaps they could help, either by commenting or direct messaging me. It's a blue plate California car, 106GYR in distinctive yellow/lime. Here are a couple of photos, firstly of the day I bought it and now. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice looking car you've got there, congratulations! While I don't personally have any history, I do suggest you also try some of the Facebook groups dedicated to Datsuns and Nissans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott, yes I'm very happy with it. It's obviously had some money spent on it recently: new interior, carpets, seats reupholstered etc, as well as various new engine ancillaries so I'd love to know more. I'll check out some Facebook groups as you suggest. Cheers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Check out this site: http://pierrezcar.com/
Years ago, Datsun/Nissan formed a plan to buy and restore several hundred 240Zs, then sell them as "new" cars. Pierre Z in Los Angeles did the work. It was a great plan and the cars were unbelievably beautiful. The only problem was, at $25K a pop (about 10X what a 240 sold for new in the '70s) they weren't selling. I think the program got to about 50 cars before they pulled the plug.
Anyway, if yours is really pristine, it might be one of these cars. (As you'll see from the Pierre Z homepage, there's even a photo that looks a LOT like your car...). So maybe worth a call to them if they're still in business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually taking the car to Pierre tomorrow to have some work done but although my car is very original I'm sure it hasn't been subjected to a thorough restoration. All I do know is that the previous owner lived in LA...its a mystery.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually taking the car to Pierre tomorrow to have some work done but although my car is very original I'm sure it hasn't been subjected to a thorough restoration. All I do know is that the previous owner lived in LA...its a mystery.
I'm pretty sure there are some LA-based Z Car Clubs. Check with them and see if anyone remembers your car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts