ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an eighty three 280 zx turbo 5 speed 70,000 mile solid car. what can i do to increase the horse power ALOT. if this involve rebuilding the motor and boring it i will all options are excepted. PLEASE RESPOND

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GETTING HORSE

> i have an eighty three 280 zx turbo 5 speed
> 70,000 mile solid car. what can i do to
> increase the horse power ALOT. if this
> involve rebuilding the motor and boring it i
> will all options are excepted. PLEASE
> RESPOND

Patrick,
I also have a 83ZXT. About the cheapest and easiest way to increase your horsepower is to boost your boost. Motorsport Auto has a Dial a Boost and adjustable pop off valve for about $100. This setup took me about an hour to install and gave me what I feel is a substantial increase in power (no data to back it up). All I know is that the factory Boost guage that only went to about 5 Lbs. of boost when I got the car can now be pegged at 7 Lbs. +. This setup may only get you 20-30 HP increase over stock but it's cheap, easy and adjustable. You may be looking for more, which is avialable with intercoolers, larger turbo's and injectors, electronic boost controllers, etc., but for dollar per HP increase this may worth considering.

Russel

·
Registered
432 Posts

> Patrick,
> I also have a 83ZXT. About the cheapest and
> easiest way to increase your horsepower is
> to boost your boost. Motorsport Auto has a
> Dial a Boost and adjustable pop
> off valve for about $100. This setup took me
> about an hour to install and gave me what I
> feel is a substantial increase in power (no
> data to back it up). All I know is that the
> factory Boost guage that only went to about
> 5 Lbs. of boost when I got the car can now
> be pegged at 7 Lbs. +. This setup may only
> get you 20-30 HP increase over stock but
> it's cheap, easy and adjustable. You may be
> looking for more, which is avialable with
> intercoolers, larger turbo's and injectors,
> electronic boost controllers, etc., but for
> dollar per HP increase this may worth
> considering.

> Russel

Patrick,

I went the rebuild, rebore, port/polish, ceramic coating, bigger everything, dfi, upgraded cooling, kevlar clutch, on and on... 300HP flywheel, it's BIG, but definitely not cheap, except that you consider you have the best car on the planet in this price range, and comparable to a new Supra in power and handling if set up right. those guys are spending 20K to 40K, and you've only spent 10K to 12K. (gasp!!) it's still a LOT of $$$$.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Try a intercooler and take your bost up to 12-14 thats in the safe range if you do not mod your engine and Im sure it will make you happy but if you want more O ring the engine replace the gaskets and so on look up some webpages on how to then run your turbo at 20-25 PSI do that and a New muffler from what I have read the stock holds back alot of power

with that much PSI under your hood Im sure not to much out there could give you as much whiplash

intercoolers at a junk yard are $100+
or get one at motorsport auto thats made for the
car for I think $1100

Jeff 280ZXT

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Tim, quick question

Hey Tim,

With 300 HP, did you upgrade the tranny, U-Joints, diff, and any of the other stuff connecting the wheels to power? I'd really like to add a lot of muscle someday to my Z, but I've heard the stock components in the drivetrain really aren't built to handle that sort of power, even a stock turbo Z can put a strain on them I have heard. Just curious.
> Patrick,

> I went the rebuild, rebore, port/polish,
> ceramic coating, bigger everything, dfi,
> upgraded cooling, kevlar clutch, on and
> on... 300HP flywheel, it's BIG, but
> definitely not cheap, except that you
> consider you have the best car on the planet
> in this price range, and comparable to a new
> Supra in power and handling if set up right.
> those guys are spending 20K to 40K, and
> you've only spent 10K to 12K. (gasp!!) it's
> still a LOT of $$$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.