ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 83 zx feels like an old boat, I'm not into that muscle car feel so I'm selling the ZX. I'd like to stay true to the Z-car and buy a 78 Z. But I don't want another cadillac so is this a good choice for me? I like small tossable cars like Miatas, CRX's and MR2's.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
ZX are about 200 LBS less then the 280Z look it up....
but they are about 600 more then the 240 but still lighter then a mitsi/talan

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ZX's can feel "heavy" do to their trailing link rear suspension. I causes the car to squat badly under throttle. It is also tuned to be a sports touring car.
Z's have a parallel rear link, it won't squat as bad. It is also tuned as a real sports car. But with out power steering it will have heavy steering at slow speeds especial if you have oversize tires.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<b>RE: Do Z's feel heavy like the ZX's</b>

The go for a 240Z, I own a 76 and a 71Z and the 71 240Z is def. a lighter car and you really do notice the difference, but if I was ever in a head on with another car I'd prefer to do it in the 280Z, their bumpers a real heavy, you should lift one sometimes.. It weighs almost as much as the one on the 71 gmc 3/4ton truck I have and that doesn't count the supporting hardware that they attach to.. Yep, dem 280Z's are real heavy, weigh around as much as a 68 camaro

·
Registered
996 Posts
280's are not that heavy

Try 3048 lbs with a full tank of gas on a scale that is accurate to within .5lbs. That is what my first bone stock including muffler & wheels weighed two days after I got it. The 82ZX I had weighed 3025 with the same stock equipment. I have removed the bumpers and all mounting hardware, and lots of other weight from the 78 280Z. But I have added structural weight my 280 now weighs 2670 lbs and is much stiffer than a 240 or a ZX. Any year Z will fill drastically different than a ZX due to the trailing arm suspension as mentioned previosly.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>RE: 78 2+2 weighs...</b>

I took the bumpers off and installed the motorsport aero kit. I weighed it (don't know how accurate the scales were) 1/8 tank of gas and no me = 2806. The car definitely handles better without the heavy bumpers front and back.

I have a '73 240 that I haven't brought home from the shop yet. I'm real curious about it's weight.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: 78 2+2 weighs...</b>

Try Driving a 300zxt they are the one I think feel heavy!!To me they feel as heavy as my nissan k/c 4x4 truck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: 78 2+2 weighs...

My friends has a 85 200zx and on country roads can keep up with my 75 2+2 but you hit a nice curvy road and he doesn't have a chance. But the car is real nice to drive. But I wouldn't own one. I really like the interior. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.