Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Fairly simple question here- do you run your turbo Z31 through an intercooler at all, and, if so, what make/manufacturer/model? The reason I ask is that I recently found a cheap intercooler from a Mitsubishi Starion, and I was all super excited about it until I read this from the Z31.com turbo faq:

"Don't bother with any OE intercooler except for that of a twin turbo supra. A starion or whatever core is not worth the trouble. Supra intercoolers can be had for $100-200 and are readily available on ebay or the mkiv.com mailing list. To clarify, only the mkiv supra(93 and up) intercoolers are any good, the mk3 units are complete garbage.

Is any intercooler better than no intercooler? NO! An undersized intercooler can easily create enough pressure drop such that the additional exhaust backpressure will more than negate any gains from the slightly cooler air."

Since I just mailed out my payment today, I'm now regretting being so hasty in acquiring my intercooler. Is it even worth putting in (little modding required since it was previously in an 86T) or should I scrap it and save up for a better one? I only went in $150.00 on it. Thanks,

-Blake

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in the seattle area as well, are there any mechanics that you could recommend in the seattle area. I have work that needs to be done on my car but no space to work on it my self
Any help on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to have all of my Z mechanical work done by my roomate's uncle; he runs a little shop on M.L.K. way, between Downtown and Rainier Beach. I'm going through him because I am getting a good deal. There's one other guy I would reccommend, he's in the Ballard neighborhood. Here is the information for his shop:

Taskar Garage
7501 15th Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98117
Phone: (206) 297-6066

The owner's name is Misha; he's Russian and a real nice guy, good to deal with, and fair prices for labor and parts. He's put in a tranny for me and done a fair amount of work on my friends Legend too.

When I get info on the other guy I will post it as well. I haven't actually met him yet, so I don't have specifics.

Hope this helps,

-Blake

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, thanks man. See ya on I-5

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes..I have a supra mkiv intercooler..the one you got is ok, a few people have used them, they have had fine results, just doesn't flow enough for high hp numbers, but for stock turbo it will be fine...hopefully you didn't pay a lot for it, my mkiv IC was only 50$...but the starion IC looks much better mounted than mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.