ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'd like to thank y'all for the previous tidbits of info, real helpful.

1986 300ZX (stock)

Just before Hurricane Katrina hit here I thought it'd be a great idea to get a quick oil change... Four hours later they had to change out my starter. When the guy removed the oil filter he apparently poured the oil right into the starter. The starter was just streaming out oil, and smoked like heck upon starting. Long story short they replaced the thing with a rebuilt hitachi. Has anyone experienced similiar "luck?"

This car had previously ALWAYS started without fail. They ate the cost of the starter and the labor to install, so I let them change a tie-rod, and do an alignment.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
yeah the starter is directly under the oil filter, what I do is remove the starter EVERYTIME I change oil, it's only two bolts and then it's out of the way, the oil itself doesn't gurt the starter but when it cooks on the wires and the plugs then yes I can see how it would kill the starter after a while.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The logic of covering up the starter" was the main reason I posted the query in the first place. That and to see if other people had killed their starters the same way...
When the car was up on the lift covering the starter seemed like such an OBVIOUS step to prevent damage to the starter. Which is why my argument that THEY killed the starter held so much weight! That and the fact, you could see oil POURING out of the starter AFTER the filter change.

So yeah, I'LL be covering the starter every time I change the oil, or clean the motor.

I'm still scratching my head wondering why such a "poor" location was chosen for the oil filter to start with... Not that there is a whole lot of wiggle room under the hood at all.

seahunter

TWO all stock 1986 300ZX's (one is white and the other is gold)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
At least Nissan figured out that the filter location is not ideal, although there is nowhere better on the block to put it. It does get annoying having to get down there with degreaser and a hose after every filter change if I want to keep it looking nice.
The problem was mostly addressed on the Z32 motors with an alloy adapter mounting the filter near enough to vertical. I haven't got around to seeing if that part would be any use on a Z31.
The only other option is a remote-mount filter kit, possibly combined with a factory oil cooler, and deciding where in the busy inner fender area to put the filter.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
My 84 was previously owned by my grandparents who bought it new and I got it in '99. It still has the original starter and nothing has really been done about covering or moving the starter out of the way for oil changes. When I first got it I tried covering it but when trying to remove the cover it still got oil on the starter so I gave up on that. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I've never had a problem with the starter vs oil dripping on it from an oil change. I do clean the **** out of it afterward. When I do the oil change the oil always seems to land on the back end of the starter and the only thing I've ever been worried about is the electrical connection in the back becuase that gets wet. I just make sure when I'm done I clean the electrical connection very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.