ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilot bushing? All i can find from any auto part store, and from courtesy is one for a manual. Someone told me when mating an engine that came from a manual to an auto that you need to swap to an automatic pilot bushing. Can anyone verify that for me?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think it's the other way around. The manual gearbox has a main shaft that rides in the pilot bushing. The automatic's torque converter bolts to the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if im taking aN engine from a manual and putting it into an automatic what would need changing?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
from auto to manual you will need:
flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, manual tranny, proper driveshaft, master clylinder, slave cylinder, a clutch pedal, and all the hydraulic lines.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
phx i think hes going the other way. he wants to bolt a auto tranny to his motor that is a manual

i could be wrong but that is what i thought i read a day or so ago

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ssm86 is dead right, the deal is i have a 85 auto that has a dead engine in my garage, found an 85 manual engine, i've already bought but have yet to go pick it up. Im just trying to get some research and hope i dont have to do a 5spd swap..

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
just swap out the flywheel and put the torque converter components in place of the clutch and i think it should bolt right up. I believe there is still a pilot bearing and you'll want to replace it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
that bush goes in the end of the crank on manuals only .because autos don't have it.when installing it be careful not to damage it or you may have problems getting the input shaft to fit.
...dazza

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Just the torque converter.

It may well be necessary to remove the pilot bushing from the manual crank to allow the dowel or post at the front centre of the TC to fit the end of the crank. This post accurately locates the TC centre with the crank centre, more accurately than just the four TC-to-flexplate bolts would.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Guys, i'll be taking pictures, and doing a write up as i go along just incase theres someone else out there like me. !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes the auto uses a bushing. It is completely different than the pilot bushing used on the manual. If you have both engines, look at the rear of the engine where the flywheel bolts to the crank. You will see the difference. Just remove the bushing from the auto engine using a pilot bushing puller, and remove the pilot bushing from the manual engine. Put the auto bushing on the manual engine along with the flywheel from the auto engine ( there is also a ring that the bolts go through before going into the flywheel on the auto) and you're ready to go. When you start pulling the flywheel off the engines, it will be obvious what needs to be swapped. The Nissan number for the auto bushing is 12330-w4400 for Z31's made up till 1/85, and 12330-14L00 for 1/85 and later if you really want a new bushing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.