ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 78 with 100K on it. The suspension is horrible. I'm replacing all of the bushings and struts. When I called to order the
KYB struts, however, Motorsport told me that I would also need to buy springs and that if I bought new springs I probably would want to
buy the Tokico struts ($70) instead of the KYB ($50). Suddenly my $300 suspension job went to $600. I'm not really a performance nut
but I want a car that drives well. Do I need springs and then do I want to buy a high end strut too? The opposite extreme is also
possible where I keep my springs and buy Monroe struts ($32) with the idea that the suspension will be better (not great) and 3 years
down the road I do it right. I love Zs but I really don't want to put lots of money into this car. Help please? I have the car in pieces
right now but I need to figure out what to order.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
same problem

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I think my springs are okay, but my car has 126 K mi on it, and it looks like the front is a little lower than the rear, and the rear looks too high for my tastes anyway. So, I'm thinking I'll get a set of lowering springs, which may not lower it all that much anyway, but I'd like good struts too - I have a 1.5 year old set of KYB's on the rear so I only need front struts.

There is so little weight in the rear that I can't imagine it matters a great deal what you have back there, unless it is too stiff.

Darryl
81 280zx 2+2 m

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very happy with my KYB struts and (replaced) stock springs. I would try to deal with a different salesman next time, it sounds like he's just trying to get an extra $80 out of you. He may be right about the springs however, especially if you've been riding on a bad suspension for a while. If you can't afford them you probably won't be too bad off, you could replace them later on (at the cost of having to pull everything apart again)

If you plan on having the car for a while and you can manage the extra $$ go for it, the car will be safer and you won't have to replace anything under there for a LONG time.

> I've got a 78 with 100K on it. The
> suspension is horrible. I'm replacing all of
> the bushings and struts. When I called to
> order the
> KYB struts, however, Motorsport told me that
> I would also need to buy springs and that if
> I bought new springs I probably would want
> to
> buy the Tokico struts ($70) instead of the
> KYB ($50). Suddenly my $300 suspension job
> went to $600. I'm not really a performance
> nut
> but I want a car that drives well. Do I need
> springs and then do I want to buy a high end
> strut too? The opposite extreme is also
> possible where I keep my springs and buy
> Monroe struts ($32) with the idea that the
> suspension will be better (not great) and 3
> years
> down the road I do it right. I love Zs but I
> really don't want to put lots of money into
> this car. Help please? I have the car in
> pieces
> right now but I need to figure out what to
> order.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I'm very happy with my KYB struts and
> (replaced) stock springs. I would try to
> deal with a different salesman next time, it
> sounds like he's just trying to get an extra
> $80 out of you. He may be right about the
> springs however, especially if you've been
> riding on a bad suspension for a while. If
> you can't afford them you probably won't be
> too bad off, you could replace them later on
> (at the cost of having to pull everything
> apart again)

> If you plan on having the car for a while
> and you can manage the extra $$ go for it,
> the car will be safer and you won't have to
> replace anything under there for a LONG
> time.

Shocks and struts cushion and stabilize the car's ride to some degree, but they don't compensate for bad springs. If the springs are shot, it's a waste of money to replace other suspension components. Now, having given you that bad news, there are plenty of other, possibly more economical sources of Z-car springs, like J.C. Whitney (312) 431-6102, Victoria-British Ltd. (800) 255-0088, or NOPI at (800) 271-6674. A couple of phone calls just might put a smile on your face.

·
Registered
650 Posts
sag???

> I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I
> think my springs are okay, but my car has
> 126 K mi on it, and it looks like the front
> is a little lower than the rear, and the
> rear looks too high for my tastes anyway.

a couple of months ago i had a set of eibach prolines (1 drop) put into my 71 along with KYB struts. the back is lower then the front.

i even put 195/60/14 in the front and 205/60/14's in the back to try and even it a little, but that didnt work. anyone have any suggestions???

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> Shocks and struts cushion and stabilize the
> car's ride to some degree, but they don't
> compensate for bad springs. If the springs
> are shot, it's a waste of money to replace
> other suspension components. Now, having
> given you that bad news, there are plenty of
> other, possibly more economical sources of
> Z-car springs, like J.C. Whitney (312)
> 431-6102, Victoria-British Ltd. (800)
> 255-0088, or NOPI at (800) 271-6674. A
> couple of phone calls just might put a smile
> on your face.
Guyz,
I have met most of the guys who work at MSA in person when I have been in the MSA location in Orange CA. They are enthusiasts. An enthusiast can't help but see your car through their own interpretation. Where you are happy with stock suspension in good condition, and you should be, they see a corner ripping Z monster. It's just human nature.
Stock springs are just fine and available, as are strut inserts in the stock spec. If your car has 100K on the old Hobbs meter you can expect that the new springs will actually raise the car. As for the comment that the rear springs don't carry as much weight, that is not true. Weight distribution for the Z is nearly 50:50 with a slight bit extra in the right front which is more than offset by the driver. Go stock and satisfy your own vision of what your Z should be. Nobody should be happier with your Z than you.
Rob

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
> actually raise the car. As for the comment
> that the rear springs don't carry as much
> weight, that is not true. Weight
> distribution for the Z is nearly 50:50 with
> a slight bit extra in the right front which
> is more than offset by the driver.

I stand corrected. However my front springs must be worn because the nose is lower than the tail by ~ an inch.

Darryl
81 280 ZX 2+2 m

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> I stand corrected. However my front springs
> must be worn because the nose is lower than
> the tail by ~ an inch.

> Darryl
> 81 280 ZX 2+2 m
Darryl,
That may be by design. I can't tell from your post which year you have but some do have lower front ends. Also, the front outside spring works very hard in turns so could be worn.
It does concern me about the guys putting in lowering springs and getting lower rear then front. I have heard this more than once and I have never heard a plausable explaination. I heard one guy say that the springs are mislabeled front and rear so that they are installed wrong.
I have the Ground Control adjustable suspension in my car so I can raise and lower and move weight around fairly easily.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My 83 has the same problem. The rear is lower than the front by a long shot. It does not look very good, and the tires wore very badly. I think a lot of it is my rear bushings, 217K on the car. I have poly ones for it, but not time. Also, I am afraid of the bushings being hard to get out. I am also making a standoff/spacer for the rear that goes on top of the spring, where the three studs stick out. They are aluminum rounds 1.25 think by 5 round. I need to finish those and install before I put my new tires on. My rear tires go from 36psi to about 10 when I spin them, from being worn and I have a few nails in them I know. They are bald. Same with the front. Just telling you what I am doing for my 83.
Joshua L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.