ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock L28 in my 75 what would be the pro and conson a header system?
Would I notice more change on top end or bottom? Does mileage go up or down(if I can keep my foot out of it). Other than headers what other bolt ons should I get? The motor and tranny are out and I'm changing the bushings on the front end, so If I'm going to change anything else now's the time.
Thank's way in advance.

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responce, I forgot to mention that the reason that I pulled the motor and tranny in the first place was to replace the 4-spd with a 24% overdrive 5-spd. Then I got a good look in the engine bay and some rust and the bushings. I'm not sure what diff I have. How can I tell what it is. I like the K&N idea but What effect does rain and snow have on them? Are the flat K&N's that go in the airbox worth it?

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the
> K&N idea but What effect does rain and snow
> have on them? Are the flat K&N's that go in
> the airbox worth it?

Well, I've never been brave enough to drive my datsun in the snow but I can tell you that driving in rain is pretty safe with the exposed conical filter. I've driven a 300 mile trip in a pouring downfall the whole way doing 75-80mph while passing 18-wheelers as they totally drenched me. Needless to say, the filter was pretty wet by the time I got home. Snow will be even more of a mess, although it's unlikely that you'd get a whole bunch of snow packed in the front of your car(unless you like to plow ;-). The problem with driving in the snow is the cars in front of you that spray up all the dirt and salt, which makes for a messy filter, which equals frequent cleaning.
I guess my past experiences prove that getting the exterior of the filter dirty isn't too dangerous. But the problem is, and Motorsport Auto warns everyone who buys the ram air from them about this, is after you shut the car off and the hot air from engine bay creeps over to the cold and wet filter. This may create condensation in the air ways. Engines hate water.

But on the upside, you can buy the K&N stock filter replacement. They offer superior filtration and airflow. And they eventually pay for themselves in the long run. Just spray it with compressed air, add new oil on it and pop it back in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.