ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I’ve got an 1981 280ZX with a 1980 L28E that I’ve been rebuilding because the original was locked up whenever I got the car. After months I’ve finally got the engine in the car and I’m getting ready to start it. I know that I need vacuum advance from the distributor to the manifold, but I’ve got two ports coming off the dist. Advance...

So the question is which is which? They were not plugged in when I got the engine. Yes I’ve used the search function and google but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check out the Burkey Vision YouTube Channel. It's from a VHS video that was created probably in the early 90s, so quality isn't all that great. But the guy who's explaining things has forgotten more about the S30 and S130 platform than I will probably ever know. I know he goes over the distributor in one of those videos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the Burkey Vision YouTube Channel. It's from a VHS video that was created probably in the early 90s, so quality isn't all that great. But the guy who's explaining things has forgotten more about the S30 and S130 platform than I will probably ever know. I know he goes over the distributor in one of those videos.

Thanks for the quick reply. I watched all of his videos. Excellent info, but nothing on the dual port vacuum diagram. It’s ridiculous that I have period correct chiltons and a FSM and none of them mention or have the vacuum diagram. They both basically slobber over how “great” the TVV is....

So I know one goes to the TVV to the distributor and the other one goes to the manifold. Does anybody have one they could go look at or snap a picture of it and tell me which one of those ports goes to the TVV and which one goes to the manifold.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hope to get my ZX back from the shop this week. It's been in the shop for way too long, based on the minor things I requested to be done. I know that vacuum is shared with the charcoal cannister, as there is the vacuum tee. I can snap some pictures of my distributor, and what goes in, and where the lines go. My engine and top end setup are 100% stock, minus the EGR and BPR (?) delete.

But I hope you get an answer before, because at the rate I'm going, I won't get my car back for a long time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The vacuum diagram (if its anything like the 1978 280z FSM is ONLY (for some reason) located in the ET (engine tuneup) chapter - one of the first pages.

As you prob know, the ZX engine is pretty **** similar to the 280z engine. On the 280z engine, one line goes from the canister to a T connector which sits by the throttle body.

The T lines (from the charcoal canister) go to:
  • 1) distributor vacuum advance
  • 2) throttle body vacuum line

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just updated the following thread with some photos of the vacuum lines on my distributor, and where they go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts