Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wayne,
Excellent writeup on distributors and vacuum advance checking yesterday. (http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=229859&t=229699 for those of you who missed it)

Couple of questions:
1) You mention that the breaker plate IS still available and that it takes 30 min to replace. By breaker plate, you mean the whole assembly, and that includes the ball-bearing thingie?

2) When you do rebuild, how in the world do you get the 'paddle' off the top of the distributor shaft (and back on) without destroying it?

3) You mention that there are 12 different vacuum advance options. I somehow had it in my head that distributors for at least the manual-shift, CA-spec 280Zs ('75-'78) were pretty much interchangeable. Is that not true? Gees, I've forgotten what year distributor is in my '76. I just found one in the wrecking yard where the vacuum advance worked and stuck it in.

Thanks!
JR

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
JR wrote:> > Wayne,> Excellent writeup on distributors and vacuum advance checking> yesterday.> (http://zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=229859&t=229699 for> those of you who missed it)> > Couple of questions:> 1) You mention that the breaker plate IS still available and> that it takes 30 min to replace. By breaker plate, you mean> the whole assembly, and that includes the ball-bearing thingie?>

Yes, there is a picture of one on page 124 in the Haynes manual # 28014.

> 2) When you do rebuild, how in the world do you get the> 'paddle' off the top of the distributor shaft (and back on)> without destroying it?>

I have no idea what you mean by "paddle".

> 3) You mention that there are 12 different vacuum advance> options. I somehow had it in my head that distributors for at> least the manual-shift, CA-spec 280Zs ('75-'78) were pretty> much interchangeable. Is that not true?

I do not specificaly know for 75 - 78. My write-up was specific to 79 N/A (also applicable to 80) dizzy's. Nissan lists diferent ones for U.S.A. / California / Canada / manual / auto trans. The reason I listed Nissan part numbers was so that people who have access to www.carfiche.com or a set of microfiche could look up the part number and see a picture of the part. The part names are the same as what is used in the FSM and Haynes.

Gees, I've forgotten> what year distributor is in my '76. I just found one in the> wrecking yard where the vacuum advance worked and stuck it in.> > Thanks!> JR

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.