ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with my car, every once and a while it would surge forward while cruising down the highway. I found the problem, a ball bearing in my distributor. My question is, where did it come from, all the manuals I have dont mention a ball bearing in the distributor. So I took it out, so far it has stopped the surging problem, so do I need to replace the distributor. A mechanic I went to was going to replace the pickup coild assembly, breaker plate, rotor and cap. Is all that really needed? and could I buy these parts at pep boys or do I have to get them from nissan. Thanks for your help.
--Casey
83' 280zx 5spd non turbo

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I was having problems with my car, every
> once and a while it would surge forward
> while cruising down the highway. I found the
> problem, a ball bearing in my distributor.
> My question is, where did it come from, all
> the manuals I have dont mention a ball
> bearing in the distributor. So I took it
> out, so far it has stopped the surging
> problem, so do I need to replace the
> distributor. A mechanic I went to was going
> to replace the pickup coild assembly,
> breaker plate, rotor and cap. Is all that
> really needed? and could I buy these parts
> at pep boys or do I have to get them from
> nissan. Thanks for your help.
> --Casey
> 83' 280zx 5spd non turbo
well the best thing to do is take your dis. off and look at the contacts in the cap then look at the roter and if there is anny corrosion ,then yes get a new one from the parts store and do it your self ( pearl of wisdom ) cheap parts =cheap proformance and durability......also take your plugs out and look at them( at a garage with a sparkplug cleaner so if they are nasty from the irregular firing currancy you can get them cleaned for 2 0r 3 bucks.....i hope this helps

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ball bearings are part of the breaker plate assembly. This little jewel is the part that the vacuum advance connects to. What happened is the plastic disks in the breaker plate assembly broke so the balls fell out. I think there are three of them total. I had this same problem and I looked all over for a breaker plate assembly and it's not a common part found in parts stores like Autozone.

My plans are to eventually replace the distributor with a rebuilt one but I have been driving the car without the ball bearings for about 5 months and have had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.
IZCC #5497

> I was having problems with my car, every
> once and a while it would surge forward
> while cruising down the highway. I found the
> problem, a ball bearing in my distributor.
> My question is, where did it come from, all
> the manuals I have dont mention a ball
> bearing in the distributor. So I took it
> out, so far it has stopped the surging
> problem, so do I need to replace the
> distributor. A mechanic I went to was going
> to replace the pickup coild assembly,
> breaker plate, rotor and cap. Is all that
> really needed? and could I buy these parts
> at pep boys or do I have to get them from
> nissan. Thanks for your help.
> --Casey
> 83' 280zx 5spd non turbo

·
Registered
486 Posts
Bob is right, it is the breaker plate, might broke too. What happens though when they fall out is the advance doesn't work anymore, and the plate tilts, the strator hits the magnet pickup, gap gets large... I made a plate for mine, I took it apart and cut a new one roughly, out of plastic. This has done it, but I really do want to replace the breaker plate. They are $40 from Nissan, not too bad considering the cost of the distributor. It runs like crap because of the gap and the advance not working. Not good. Mine would pop out when I hit 5K and then stutter until I used a screw driver to push it back in. bad to street race with, makes it look bad. My advice, go buy just the plate from nissan, order the strator and rotor from Pep Boys (about $20), replace, retime the car, enjoy the ride!
Joshua L.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.