ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put another distributor on Zack. Can't say it's new because it came off a salvage car but it doesn't have a wobbly shaft like the old one. When I changed it out I set my static timing by just rotating the distributor full clockwise and then adjusting the idle down from the 1200 rpm it shot up to. The new distrigutor is a Federal version so it has 9° of mechanical advance where my original CA. version had 7.5°. The car now accellerates better and the gas mileage is up to 20. No negative side effects seen at this point. Anyone out there with similar experience?
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Distributor / Advance</b>

Phantom, I have used federal distibutors an my all of my Zs(as they came with them) since day one. All of my Zs have always had the mileage in the mid 20's, even with 150K on them. Power at the rear wheels in my absolutely stock 75 280(made 3/75) was at 156 bhp at the last dyno run I made in November 98. I can tune the federal distributors for a much better midrange torque by altering the timing on the engine hot pickup more advanced, while simultanoeusly enrichening the mixture on the AFM. Try this fellas and you will be pleased!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hi Phantom-
Hope you have better luck than I had. Wobbly dist shaft was a problem I had, replaced with a tight junk yard dist. but it didn't last either. Six months later I was back in the same boat, loose dist shaft. I replaced it with a Mallory unit (you may have seen some of the posts when I was trying to get it working) and coil. Seems my ignition problems have all gone away, but it took $500.00 to get them to leave, which is exactly what Nissan wanted for just the new dist. So, I could have replaced with a new Nissan dist just like the one I had worn out two of, or go with the after market one and coil for the same money. Hope you have better luck.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
sounds like maybe you got it a tooth off, best to pull your Oil pump, re align and check it...it may have never been right with the old dist. It's very easy to screw up after the oil pump comes out once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.