ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello okay being the idiot that i am and never leaving well enough alone i broke my dist. so i quess i'll go ahead and see about installing a electronic in the 240z....can you guys help me out on this do i get a 280z dist. or an 280zx dist.. ??? the 12-80 module??what??? i cant stand it when my z dont run!!!! and do i need to get a tach adapter??? can you guys walk me through this please ??? really need your help dont want to spend cash on somthing that dont work for the 71 240z ??? thankyou michele

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi michele---------------So far, I've collected the following parts from the pick&pull to do this mod on my 240:

Electronic Distributor from a '79 280ZX (check for excessive play in shaft)

E12-80 Ignition Module (single connector, top) from '79ZX

Mounting Spacer (bottom of dist to engine) from '79ZX

Coil from ZX (the stock 240 coil won't work with ZX dist)

Various connectors and shrink wrap will be needed when you eliminate the ballast resistor, and you'll need some primary wiring to hook up the dist and coil. If possible, solder all wire to wire connections. I also picked up a '78 280Z tach--I'll install the internals in the stock 240 housing. I may also need to buy a resistor if the tach is unsteady. Using the 240 tach face is recommended so the redline is correct, I just painted the change with some artist's acrylic paint. The distributor was thoroughly cleaned and equipped with new stator, reluctor, magnet and pickup coil. I paid particular attention to the advance plate, cleaning and lubing it until it moved freely. I was lucky enough to pull a dist with a good vacuum advance canister. If necessary, they should be available from the dealer in your area or get one from Courtesy Nissan. Some new plug wires and NGK plugs are cool, too.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.