ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I did some work on the 77 this morning and apparently forgot to reconnect the TPS. How come I was able to drive all around all morning? No doubt about it, it has more power when the TPS is hooked up. But how would it run not being connected up? Any explanations would be appreciated. Thanks. John

· Registered
1,351 Posts
The TPS controls the type of enrichmen. Think of it as the base from which all of the other sensors and controls deviate from. There are 3 mixtures; idle, normal, and full power. THe TPS contains two switches that change state from one to the next based on the posiiton of the butterfly throttle. I believe that the default is the nidle mixture. When the throttle postiion passes a certain point, a contact in the tps closes and the mixture goes to normal, which I believe is around a %25 increase. As you go past 3/43 throttle, it switches to full-power, giving an added boost as you floor it. So, you driove around all morning on idle mixture. No harm done!!

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Explanation is fairly correct, but the contacts close in the idle and full throttle position and are open in between. The idle and full throttle positions will enrich the mixture (richer at both ends) so with the switch disconnected you just ran on normal mid throttle type enrichment. Might have a tendency to die at idle but then again perhaps not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.