ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any cheap, real cheap turbos that wrecking yards are willing to sell for? I was thinking of turbos such as turbos for 4 bangers that there just is'nt much demand for. Particularly , I'm looking for turbos that have quick spool up ( boost at lower RPM.). Any info is appreciated? Thank You
Tom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Dirt Cheap Turbos????</b>

I can get them from my yard for $40/per turbo. From starions, lebaron turbo, saab turbo, impulse turbo. I will have to charge a fee for their removal. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
to get good spoolup from stock turbos you are going to be undersized. Nothing I know of will bolt up to a Z motor and provide as good of a performance as the stock turbo. The smaller 4 banger turbos will spool like crazyon the bigger 6 cyclinder, but you will run out of air real quick. Good luck on finding good turbos in the junkyard anyway. I wouldn't do that to my motor. I even hesitate to put known good running turbos off one car onto another. It's cheap insurance to get any turbo freshened up when you pull it. Less than $200 later you basically have a new turbo. Don't do it and you take the chance of having to buy a new turbo and motor when the "good deal" blows up and sends chunks into your motor. A 50 shot of nitrous is relatively cheap and will spool the **** out of any turbo. What are your goals here?
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
where are you

hey "240z turbo" where are you, i am interested in those turbos your said your junkyard has. thanks
mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
(greg) RE: Dirt Cheap Turbos????

I"m looking for faster response (noticiable?) from turbo, at around 2000 rpm or so. I drove a 83ZXT today and it
did'nt seem to kick in till about 4000 rpm, there was no where to go, or not much, to 5k-5.5k.
I"m thinking of maybe doubleing up a couple of smaller turbos ( maybe even 3). With some modification to the exhaust and intake manifolds, I think it is possible.
But the key would be finding the proper size turbos.
What do you think?
Tom

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
RE: (greg) RE: Dirt Cheap Turbos????

Cool, I also have wanted to do a twin or triple turbo setup on my Z. There is some concern on turbo's fighting each other and equalizing boost pressure between turbo's. You would need to run a balance tube between each turbo to ensure that both or all 3 receive the same amount of exhaust gasses for spoolup. Basically a pipe that runs to each turbo inlet that would ensure that the turbo's are balanced. Personally, I would go with the tripple turbo setup, that would be some awesome ****. Even if you were not the fastest car on the road, you could say, "How do you like my twin, I mean tripple turbo Z!" Let me know, we can discuss this setup further.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hypothetical twin setup.

OK, didn't the Supra's have a twin turbo in line 6? If so, whats to stop someome from modifying/ welding the head side of a Z intake to a supras intake? Basically you'd have to make the runners meet at or near the flanges. This MIGHT be the easiest way to do it. BTW, if I'm right you could probably get a decent price on a stock supra setup from one of the Supra guys on thier forum who went to an aftermarket intake/turbo setup. Like I said hypothetical but it might work!
Tonyzxt

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Hypothetical twin setup.

Supra are sequential, meaning one turbo feeds the low rpm response, then the other kicks in for the upper rpms. Not exactly right, but close enough for our purposes. What you are looking at is a true dual or tripple turbo setup. One problem is a packaging nightmare. Not only do you have to keep the exhaust flow equal, but you have to accurately measure all the intake as well. You just defeated the "cheap turbo" part of your question. Man would that look neat, though!! If you want to improve the stock turbo it's as simple as upgrading the exhaust. Get rid of the lousy cast 90 degree downpipe and get a good exhaust built. That will quicken the turbo's response tremendously. After that is a good air filter. Still need more? Then upgrade to a better turbo. Turbo technology has come a long long way since 1982. You can actually have a bigger turbo that is more responsive than your stock one. Upgrading the turbo is only about $400. Much less than what it will cost you to do the twin or tripple turbo setup. Plus there is a reason the high HP supra guys are ditching their twin turbos in favor of single turbo setups. Think about it. Looks are one thing, but I prefer the performance if given a choice.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
88 Posts

Only problem is piping and intercooling. You are talking three intercoolers!!! I think that would only work on a triple-carb set-up, but getting that thing sync'd would be a bitch!! Cool ass idea... do able, somehow, but a bitch to make it work right. Also, it wouldn't be the fastest, I don't think, but you would get some crazy spool up though.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

LuZZifer wrote:
-------------------------------
Only problem is piping and intercooling. You are talking three intercoolers!!! I think that would only work on a triple-carb set-up, but getting that thing sync'd would be a bitch!! Cool ass idea... do able, somehow, but a bitch to make it work right. Also, it wouldn't be the fastest, I don't think, but you would get some crazy spool up though.

You could do it with one intercooler. The path would be:
Air filter to metering device (airflow meter if used)
split to three turbo inlets
back to a single intercooler
out intercooler to throttle body.

The nightmare would be the three downpipes, and fitting three turbos in the engine bay. You could put the external wastegate on the exhaust manifold to solve that problem. We are just talking dream stuff here anyway. I don't know who would spend that kind of money for looks, since the performance gain would not be very much at all, if any. In Jeff Hartmans book on fuel injection systems he puts a tripple turbo setup on an old XKE. Check it out. Somewhere there is a webpage where he was selling the car, but I can't find it.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
382 Posts

Also, don't forget that you would want to plumb the exhaust manifold such that each turbo had even exhaust spacing, which would mean a 1-6, 2-5, 3-4 pairing. The Jaguar mentioned did not do this, by the way.

As far as spoolup goes, I'm fairly dubious about whether it would actually be any better. Sure, each turbo would have somewhat less rotational inertia, but each turbine would be seeing 1/3 (or 1/2 for a twin) the exhaust flow. I'm willing to bet that it would be a wash. Also, if they are not getting even exhaust pulse spacing, I'd be willing to bet that response would be worse.

IMHO, the only good reason to do a twin setup on an inline motor would be if you were going to do a sequential setup. The twin setup is done on V engines because it's easier to package.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: For spool-up try the little blue bottle </b

NOS works wonders with a turbo. Keep in mind that a 30 hp shot of NOS adds 60 ft/lb of torque on the bottom end.

Rcr X

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.