Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.
I was just thinking back to the day I bought the crashed GT2 race car that was the donor for a lot of parts on my car. Being a fantastically stupid kid at the time, I threw away a lot of goodies that I'd consider giving up seldom used body parts for if I could have them today. One of those things was a direct drive tachometer. The cable ran from the tach, through the firewall, and down to a 90 degree adapter at the back of the valve cover. A very short cable ran from the other end of the adapter directly into the back of the cam. I must have been seriously high at the time, because I sold it to some guy for about $10!
So I'm thinking it would be nice to have a direct drive tach attached to my new motor. I figure it will be more accurate than an electric or electronic unit, though maybe not at idle, and also will eliminate any problems associated with the factory tach not working after installing an MSD unit (I have a '72 240).
So here's my thought: I've got a motorcycle tach sitting in a box and a cable can be made easily enough. The motorcycle tach mechanism can be transplanted into the factory tach housing and use the original Nissan face and needle. Now all I need is a 90 degree adapter that will fit between the firewall and the valve cover. That's proving to be a toughy. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Q

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Get a speedo gear and the transmission cable adapter. Cut the gear portion off the plastic speedo drive gear. Drill a hole in the end of the cam shaft and press the cable drive end of what is left of the speedo drive gear into the hole. Some form of a pin might be needed to prevent the plastic part from turning in the hole.

Drill a hole in the back of the valve cover and install the transmission cable adapter in the valve cover. Now install the drive cable so that it engages in the plastic part that is in the end of the camshaft.

Will you have a vacuum leak? I have no idea!

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.