ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what all is involved in converting a digital dashboard to analog? I looked in the archives and it looks like it can be done, but I didn't see any very specific explanations of what is required. Do I have to swap out the entire harness back there, or are the panels interchangeable? I've never gotten behind the instrument panel, so I don't know what kind of a monster I am looking at back there. If it's going to be a bunch of spaghetti wiring back there, can anybody reccomend a good pasta sauce to go with it? Hehe, well, if anybody could give me a general idea of what I'm looking into converting this over, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know that it is only a couple of plugs on the back of the analog dashes, but not a clue as to the looks of the digital. If you end up swapping and changing, I have a couple sets of clusters in good shape,along with the three other gauges in the dash. I have two with 130mph speedo's also. I am willing to trade or sell fairly cheap. Let me know. I am not a junk yard, so I only have a couple, but like I said, they are in good shape.
Joshua L..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> I know that it is only a couple of plugs on
> the back of the analog dashes, but not a
> clue as to the looks of the digital. If you
> end up swapping and changing, I have a
> couple sets of clusters in good shape,along
> with the three other gauges in the dash. I
> have two with 130mph speedo's also. I am
> willing to trade or sell fairly cheap. Let
> me know. I am not a junk yard, so I only
> have a couple, but like I said, they are in
> good shape.
> Joshua L..

Well, thanks for the offer, but I already have a complete Z with analog guages, so I don't really need those. Really I just w

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I know that it is only a couple of plugs on
> the back of the analog dashes, but not a
> clue as to the looks of the digital. If you
> end up swapping and changing, I have a
> couple sets of clusters in good shape,along
> with the three other gauges in the dash. I
> have two with 130mph speedo's also. I am
> willing to trade or sell fairly cheap. Let
> me know. I am not a junk yard, so I only
> have a couple, but like I said, they are in
> good shape.
> Joshua L..
Well, thanks for the offer, but I already have a complete Z with analog guages, so I don't really need those. Really I just wanted to know how hard the swap would be, don't want to get in over my head. Thanks for trying to help out!

(ignore that prior post, my computer froze in the middle of the transmission and it only posted part of my message)

·
Registered
85 Posts
> Well, thanks for the offer, but I already
> have a complete Z with analog guages, so I
> don't really need those. Really I just
> wanted to know how hard the swap would be,
> don't want to get in over my head. Thanks
> for trying to help out!

Pentastar, I have not done the conversion since my 81 has the analog gauges. The only Items on an 81 that I have are the idiot lights, fuel guage, water temp, speedo, tach and another check system system. The tach I would presum to be a simple few cross wiring. The speedo would be plug and play since the both run a cable up in that area. The idiot lights and the other warning system would be the hardest. The idiot lights along with yours in the digital system should be interchangeable since they both read the same simple voltage/ohm reading to tell about wrongs. The problem I would run into would be with the system check which tell if you have a bulb out, motor needs a tune-up, ect. If your digital system has it than great it should be easy to swap. I would recommend having a factory manual for your model car along with the donor's manual so you can read the wiring diagrams. Good luck. I hate electrical stuff in a car anyways. I prefer having all manual gauges myself and plan in the future to remove all those stupid idiot lights and digital gauges and going completely manual. Manual are more accurate anyways and are less prone to failulre and fault.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I was wondering what all is involved in
> converting a digital dashboard to analog? I
> looked in the archives and it looks like it
> can be done, but I didn't see any very
> specific explanations of what is required.
> Do I have to swap out the entire harness
> back there, or are the panels
> interchangeable? I've never gotten behind
> the instrument panel, so I don't know what
> kind of a monster I am looking at back
> there. If it's going to be a bunch of
> spaghetti wiring back there, can anybody
> reccomend a good pasta sauce to go with it?
> Hehe, well, if anybody could give me a
> general idea of what I'm looking into
> converting this over, I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks!
Pentastar, we have sold this conversion before, and we did sell the dash wiring loom with analog speedo. I would assume the buyer changed that out, as it wouldn't be a big job, if the dash were pulled out. Pulling the dash is quick, and most of the wiring plugs in on the passenger side.
Good luck, Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.