ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could help me with a digital speedometer problem on my 83 280ZX. The speedometer reads 0 all the time, but the Tachometer works normal. What could be causing the speedometer to not work, but still allowing the tach to work fine? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

· Registered
193 Posts
Sorry if this sounds like a sacastic remark, but its not....check the cable....I'm assuming that even the digital speedo has a cable to the trany.....make sure it turns while moving...maybe the gears are broken in the trany....

· Registered
2,404 Posts
The tack & speedometer are seperate.
The tack comes from distributor, speedo is a cable from tranny.

The easer end to get to is on the tranny. The gear in tranny is purty tough, it will
swist off the cable to speedo, so the gear is not apt to be the probblum.

At the tranny end, the speedo inner cable IS NOT suppose to come out off outter
shell. If it does it is broke betwean tranny and the joint in the dash, you need to find out why.

At the dash end there is a jount in the speedo cable, about 8 in. from fire wall &
8 in. from speedo. When sepperated you should be able to turn the short inner
cable with your fingers, if not the speedo is frose, need new speedo & cable.

I have worked on two in the past mo., one the long cable from tranny to dash
was crushed, one the speedo was frose.

If outter shell is good you can get the inner cable only.for about $5, if you can find
a shop that makes them. I had to reuse the tranny end because the american end
is a hair larger and won't go in tranny.

Lee

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got a chance to check the speedometer cable at the transmission end. I was able to pull the inner cable out of the outer cable. From how I read your post, you say that I should NOT be able to do this. Since I can I need to remove the gauge cluster to find where the break is, correct? As far as I can tell the outer cable seems to be fine, but I have only looked at the part that is on the outside. I'm not too clear on what to look for behind the gauge cluster.
All the help you can provide me with is most appreciated?

Thank you,
Peyton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.