ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this morning i got in my 300zx and the digital dash just completely stopped working, i have no idea why, it just didnt work. can someone please give some ideas of what i should be looking for. fuses, etc... so far my searching has not turned up anything, (the car and these sites) but i will keep looking. any ideas would be appreciated. Zanks alot

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The digital dash power supply has probably lost contact. You can do one of several things.

Take out the power supply and clean it:
Remove the trim panel underneath the steering wheel. The power supply is a metal box on the upper right side right next to the radio and climate controls. The power supply is held on by one 10mm screw and one 10mm nut. Remove both of those and unplug the two connectors from the power supply and inspect for corrosion or loss of contact. Use some electronic cleaner you can find at any parts store on both the plugs and the pins, and plug it back in. If it doesn't work now, you can try and slightly bend the pins so they make better contact with the plugs, or you might need to replace your power supply.

Basically: <http://z31.com/repairs/dash.shtml>

·
Registered
517 Posts
First check the digital dash's fuse. If the fuse is OK, then do what domdogg123 says.

As a temporary solution, turn the ignition on, then turn the ignition key one millimeter counterclockwise and release. The entire digital dashboard should flick on. It's a variation of "jiggling the key" and it always worked for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to try and steal this thread or anything, but my dual tripometer works intermittently. Would domdogg's solution possibly correct my problem, or is that a whole different story?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is it digital or analog, JacobZ? If it is analog , does the speedo work intermittently as well? If so, it is most likely the speedo cable. Other than that, I don't know. I also have an analog display for sale from an 87 N/A to replace thsoe faulty digi units.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kyle, sorry I did not clarify, but it is the digital dash. The speedometer and the odometer both work fine, but both tripometers come and go. I had considered switching to the analog unit, but I don't know if I'm down to rip the dash apart since it works perfectly, aside from the tripometer. Does anyone else know why it only works occassionally?

Thanks,
Jacob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i have the same problem with the trip odo's and distance to E displays. at least i fixed the loose conection to end the dreaded dark dash system. thanks everyone for the advice and tips, Z ya

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, I took out the power supply and looked at the connecting pins and saw that several of them were cracked, so I just took my cold heat soldering tool and applied more solder to them and it's worked perfectly since

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.