ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 84 AE Turbo that runs like mad, but has some issues.

The serious one is the Digital Dash not working....only the security light and the gas gage low light cones on...but nothing else. I searched other postings but and saw the "How to Fix" issue on Z31.com. But, the owner has tried 3 digi dashes...alll worked in other vehicles...but not on this one. The dash is not the issue.

At the same time, the brake lights stay on all the time. Only disconnecting the battery turns them off.

Are these issues connected???

Should I run from this car OR is this an easy fix and pay cheap price for a 5 speed turbo?

·
Registered
321 Posts
First dumb question did he replace the power supply or just the dash? If you look at the brake pedel there are 2 nylon bumpers either one or both are not there causing the brake lights to stay on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the dash...this is not a zcar guy...so he is working from a chiltons.....

Would the power supply allow just a few light come on?

This guy did say that the dash lights sometimes come on when he has the battery charger hooked up to the vehicle....of course it didn't when I was looking at it.

Could one of those nylon bumpers come off when he was swapping the dash?

Hopefully this info helps.

Rob

·
Registered
321 Posts
I could be wrong here but the dummy lights at the bottom don't go through the power supply for the digital dash. I doubt it, the bumpers are on the brake pedel itself near the tension spring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had similar problems with my digi dash. It was the power supply. Only fault I have with it now is the speedo wacks out in hot weather- I'm gonna try a different speed sensor (probably culprit) sometime in the near future (for now I just go how ever fast traffic is going or a little faster).

·
Registered
86 Posts
The rubber bumpers are on the back of the brake pedal. One is for the brake lights. The other is for the cruise control. There is also one on the clutch, for the cruise control.

Have not had that problem with the dash. I did have the computer chip go out in my 84, and everything would blink intermittenly until it finally quit and left me on the side of the road. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.