ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The readout is determined by an optical "pulser" that consists of a wheel and pick up. If one were to determine the slot/MPH and slot/KPH ratios and replace or modify the wheel for less slots THEN the KPH setting could be used for MPH readouts.

If I had a functioning dash to experiment with, I'd try it...

What do you think? (Madeline, are you listing?)

RbM

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Someone sugested using a 1.6 to 1.0 ratio "coupler" on the cable going into the back of the dash, then you could use the KPH for your speed.

~Josh

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
try any speedo shop, just look em up in the yellow pages, call them up and ask them if they have, can get, or can make what I'm talking about.

Josh

·
Registered
571 Posts
Like you I have not considered or had a Digital dash to play with.
My thoughts on the matter would to half the frequency on the reference oscillator that governs the Speedo. The physical or analog section would have to connect to a transducer that would digitize the final reading. This would be the location of a simple crystal and changing it would alter the speed indicator. 40mph would be 80 mph. The possible downfalls would be this reference crystal also governs other devices; this could prevent it from working. It may cut the odometer in half as well causing 100 miles to read 50 miles.
This is all intellectual speculation and I have yet to investigate the possibilities. I may work. Also gearing down the analog portion could be done as well, just a new gear.

The odometer could become a slowdometer.
I can only speculate but I hope I gave you a little insight.
So now we have two ideas to think about.

Madeline Michele
Hollywood, FL

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm. As I recall, the odometer is all mechanical--even the trip counter. Therefore, any of the electrical changes you suggest should not effect the odometer...

I don't know how the innards of the digital work, but if there is a way reduce the number of pulse entering the "magic box" or at least stretch them out, I might could get there from here.

I need to find a dead 83 GL somewhere... :) I have an 82 Turbo and an 83 turbo, but they are Deluxes and have analog stuff...

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Why?

When you can get ratio adapters at just about any speedo shop, in just about any ratio you want, to give any readout you want?
Corvette dudes did this for years when the stupid speedos only went to 85...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Why?

An ratio adapter would work great for the speed (electronic), but screw up the odometer (mechanical), wouldn't it? Everything else being original...

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Hmmmmm

Yes, turning it less revs per mile would affect the odometer counting. But tearing apart the speedo head and spending 8 hours altering the pulse counter will still alter the number of pulses per mile. Newer speedos use mechanical odos, and optical speedos, but that';sanother story...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.