ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some light reading and visual aid for all of you fellow insomniacs out there.

I permanently removed the howling from my rear end and finished up swapping my differential this past Saturday. Two weeks ago I replaced my front differential seal and then torqued the nut down to specs, but it was too much for the bearing and after that it was howling like a mad dog.
I tried to take the nut back off, pull the flange back off and retorque the nut to less ft-lbs, but it was still the same old dog. These pics are pretty much from start to finish over a couple of weeks. It was a lesson well learned by the time that this little project was completed.

Z1 one piece DS

old differential

old seal pulled

After that the old differential was screwed (for now) so I weighed my options and I ended up going to the salvage yard and picking (one heavy motha) one up for $150 w/ 2 year warranty. Everyone like my differential jack stand?

The bushings were falling apart when I was removing the old diffy so I replaced them with Energy Suspension's differential Carrier Set (Courtesy $30)

Old pressed in metal sleeves that came out of the subframe.

New with the old. This diffy (on left) was from a " 90" with 99k and it had just been dismantled. I took a torque wrench (inch lbs) and 27mm socket to the salvage yard to make sure that was in specs (bearing preload of 11-15inch lbs). It was reading at 13inch lbs, perfect!

I had help (my son Zander) getting those PITA new ES bushings back into the subframe with the cleaned up diffy on the left.

I used this method to pull the new bushing into the subframe and it worked good. The trick is to make sure that the bolt is lined up in the middle of the bushing, otherwise it wont go in evenly.
This is not my pic, but it looked simular to it. I have the write up for the ES differential bushing install if anyone needs it, just drop me a email.

The wife took off with the camera between getting the new bushings in and the final install of the differential, but you get the idea. This is the finished product, and to make your life easier I recomend to add your gear oil (RL 75-90W) before you install it. I know I still have a lot of cleaning to do!

http://www.zcar.com

Post Edited (Feb 6, 3:01pm)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
zaweet good job man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.