ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a r200 differential out of a 78 280z 2+2 for basicallly free. My car is a 240z and has the stock diff in it now, it came with a four speed that has been upgraded to a five speed of the 280. My question is what is my differential ratio and will putting in this peticular r200 hurt my acceleration? I need to know by friday night because the car is going to the wrecker on saturday.

Thanks so much for the help with this question and all the others i have asked. You guys have not let me down! I apreciate any info i can get.

evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
well if your 240 is like mines, then you have a 3.54 dif, i believe. mines wasnt changed either when they did the tranny swap. and i would definately say go for the r200. but i think ive read somewhere that you'll have to move the dif mountings back a lil bit, so if you get the dif make sure you just take the whole rearend =) half shafts and all .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
It's always great to have spares around. If it's going to be scrapped then get everything you can. The R200 is a direct bolt in for the R180, it's just the inside parts that are larger. There are two different types of half-shafts, so go ahead and grab those while your at it, just in case. The ratio's were the same until later when the ZX's went to 3.9, both of your should be 3.54. While your working on the rear-end, grease all your U-joints, and replace the rubber bushings.

> I have a chance to get a r200 differential
> out of a 78 280z 2+2 for basicallly free. My
> car is a 240z and has the stock diff in it
> now, it came with a four speed that has been
> upgraded to a five speed of the 280. My
> question is what is my differential ratio
> and will putting in this peticular r200 hurt
> my acceleration? I need to know by friday
> night because the car is going to the
> wrecker on saturday.

> Thanks so much for the help with this
> question and all the others i have asked.
> You guys have not let me down! I apreciate
> any info i can get.

> evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> It's always great to have spares around. If
> it's going to be scrapped then get
> everything you can. The R200 is a direct
> bolt in for the R180, it's just the inside
> parts that are larger. There are two
> different types of half-shafts, so go ahead
> and grab those while your at it, just in
> case. The ratio's were the same until later
> when the ZX's went to 3.9, both of your
> should be 3.54. While your working on the
> rear-end, grease all your U-joints, and
> replace the rubber bushings.

I asked a similar question a while back and was told that the best way was to use the moustache bar and crossmember from the R-200 donor car, otherwise you have to jury-rig the R-190 bar to fit. Also, the driveshaft as the 280 is slightly longer.
Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> I asked a similar question a while back and
> was told that the best way was to use the
> moustache bar and crossmember from the R-200
> donor car, otherwise you have to jury-rig
> the R-190 bar to fit. Also, the driveshaft
> as the 280 is slightly longer.
> Have fun!

Thanks for the help guys im going to get it on saturday, the axles are the same as mine, but i need the driveshaft too right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
> Thanks for the help guys im going to get it
> on saturday, the axles are the same as mine,
> but i need the driveshaft too right?
Evan -
There are several differential ratios for the olders Z's.. Most of the 240's origianlly had a 3.70 to go with the 4-spd. If you have a Haynes manual - look it up - it will tell you the transmission ratios and differential ratio's. If the differential is from the same year car as the 5-spd. then you should be OK. If it it's from a 77-79 it will probably be a 3.545 ratio. If it is from a 80 - 83 it will be a 3.900. Like I said - look in the Haynes - if you do't have one - get one - they are in all the auto parts stores and only cost $12.95 plus tax.
Phantom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Re: Differential confusion - Source for answers

Evan,
I plan to place a 4.11 R200 into my 240 with a ZX 5 speed. I have found this to be a reliable source for details on the conversion. Click on Engine Swap Tips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Re: Differential confusion - with URL

I plan on doing similar conversion and have found this site to be a reliable source for this info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> Thanks for the help guys im going to get it
> on saturday, the axles are the same as mine,
> but i need the driveshaft too right?

That's what I understand, and apparently there are two types of driveshaft to diff mating flanges. You'll need to verify that you have the right one.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top