ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to the whole z car thing. I'm not quite sure of the differances between like a 76 280Z and a 280ZX. Also, mine is a 2+2 with an automatic (discusting I know but is was cheap) and a friend thinks that all of the 2+2s came with autos, is this true? Because I would like to get rid of the auto as soon as possible. Oh, does a 280 coupe 5spd fit in a 2+2?
thanks,
ben

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The X stands for Xtra metal. Basically, lots of little (heavy) luxury stuff... a/c, power windows, stuff like that.

As for the rest - ask them, they know. &-)

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

I personaly like the ZX over the older Z cars, I like the extra room, and I really REALLY like the 4 wheel disc brakes. My current ZX does not have T-tops, most of the ZX's offer them, and they are also VERY NICE. I have a 1982 280ZX 2+2 and it has a 5 speed, far as I know the 2+2's are available either way. The older modles far as I know also are available in either. It really depends on what you are looking for, the older Z cars are strait up sports cars, no luxury items to speak of, the ZX is a larger, more roomy car, but in cost is a heavier car, signifigantly so, but my personal opinion is the body is a little more stout, and also handles much better, wider wheelbase, I could not tell you for fact the weight is distributed better or not, but it seems like it is. I like all the Z cars for the most part, the 300ZX series is probably my least favorite, as I am not a fan of the V6 Engine Nissan Built. I just prefer the strait 6 engines in the Zx and the earlier Z cars.

Hope this Helps.
Scott Milella

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: 5 speed in 2+2</b>

Yes, 2+2s came with 4 and 5 speeds. I have a '78 that originally had a 4 speed and I changed it to a later zx 5 speed. It bolted straight in. Having an auto is a little more involved in the swap, but not much. I have read several posts about people doing just that on this forum. Someone should respond with pointers and tips for you. If not, Just post it again, eventually you'll get a good reply.

Welcome to the life of z-cars.

Later,

Matt

·
Registered
996 Posts
They were available either way. And yes any Z tranny will bolt in. Going from a auto to stick you need to get a flywheel, clutch, and clutch/brake pedal assembly from a stick. You also need the master and slave cylinders for the clutch(go new on these definetly, they are cheap). All the holes are in the firewall it is a direct bolt-in. I had a pedal assembly but sold it a month ago. Get the pedals from a junkyard and they will be cheap, new who knows but how often do you wear-out the pedal hangers? Lightened flywheels are nice, btw.
As far as differences between Z and ZX; alot of little things but weight is not much different actually from a 76Z the 240's are a few hundred pounds lighter, but basically the newer the car the more structural the bodies became. I run a 78 280 and have shaved my weight to within 50lbs of a 71 240 and have a stronger frame. The real breaking point is the rear suspension the ZX switched to a semi-trailing arm design which is much more suited to comfort than performance (I will probably get flamed for this, but it is true) the laws of physics prove this if we need to get detailed.

What you want to do can be done inexpensively with some work on your part and I'm sure you will notice quite an improvement.

BTW. while your under the car swap the rear end with one from and 82 ZX for the 3.9ratio or find a limited slip for best results.

good luck
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weight difference is not that much. I have a 75 280z 2+2 and its gross weight is about 400 lb heavier than my 81 280zxt and my friends 85 300zx. I agree their is a problem with the rear suspension not a very big problem. Bigger sway bars and better springs and shocks will help that problem out alot. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<b>use the search feature</b>

just enter in a couple of key words, like year and transmission, and see what you come up with. There have been many posts on doing the switch so you should find lots of information. Good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: differance between a z and zx?</b>

hey can i put a 5-speed out of a 280 in my 240?it has a 4-speed stick right now but i would like a 5

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody mentions that little squat thing a zx does. OH and go for it DatsunBoy. Night and day on highway, I dropped about 800 rpm at 70. easy swap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.