ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just when I started saving money for some upgrades disaster struck.I was on my way to a freainds house saturday to help him pull the engine out of an old car so he could have it hauled away.I was on my way there when suddenly I hear a loud grinding noise and my car didn't accelerate when I pressed the gas so I pulled into a parking lot to look under my car.I couldn't see anything hanging down[I thoughtmaybe the drive shaft gave way].I called my dad and he towed me home.after looking at it we can see where the half shaft on the rear right tire went out,its hanging at an angle.What we are wondering is did the differential go out caousing the half shaft to hang at an angle or did the half shaftjust brake?what do you think?Also where would you recomend I buy the parts?Autozone dosn't carry them and that is all we have in my are without going to Grand Rapids.
Also I can rev the car in neutral with no problems but when shifting into any gear it makes that grindinf noise,and it dosn't stall if I try to take off in 3rd,and When getting towed in neutral It made the griding noise as soon as itstarted moving.

P.S.My budys charger hit a rock in his driveway and made a nice hole in his oil pan so I guess maybe we pissed of the car god.

·
Registered
958 Posts
THERE IS NO CAR GOD! Would things like this really happen if there was!? I've lost my faith. Forgive me.

Were you accelerating hard when the grinding noise occured? Were you putting an unusual ammount of stress on your drive train?

·
Registered
340 Posts
It could of just went bad on you and bent...When I had my Datsun with a 350, I busted the U-Joint and Yoke doing burnouts (silly me)...I just found a Z parts guy and told him to give me the whole shaft, I went to a machine shop and had them press out the old U-Joints and put in new ones...Car was good as new. I haven't fiddled with the 300ZX rear-end so I'm not sure if it's similar...But it sounds the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I was driving really slow,becouse I had just entered a small town and the spead limit is 45,I always make sure I obay this sign becoust the buddy I mentioned earlier got caught speading there and had one heck of a ticket,and I will see a cop about 1 out of 5 times I go through there.The car was making a grinding noise when I got it, not much I only noticed it when I would slow down like when coming to a stop,My uncle thought it was the driveshaft making noise as there was a small worn ring around it so he thought it maybe was rubbing slightly against something nothing to worry about he thought.When it was on the lift we noticed no leaking from the differential,so I kinda wonder if it is it. I looked on AZ_BUMZ site I think and it said the differentials are nearly unbrakeable,unless they have leak,we didn't notice one.Is there a place online you guys buy you'r stuff from?becouse nobody I know of sells stuff like this except a dealership and they are way overpriced.
Also Howmuch do you think it will cost?
Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not broken as far as I can see,where it goes into the differential it's really loose and is hanging limp but I can't see anything broken and it stays inside the differential.Thats why we don't know whether it is the part of the halfshaft inside the differentialor that is broken or if part of the differential is broken inside where we can't see it.I know I'm probly doing a bad job explaning it so If you can't figue out what I'm saying let me know and I'll try to post a pic.
thanks.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
well if one half shaft broke, the other one still should work right? and if you heard a grinding noise and the the car wouldn't move when you gave it gas, I would say the only possible source of the problem would be the actual differential. First thing I'd do is pull the back cover off the diff and see if the insides are still in tact.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Are the seals or cv boots broken? Is there grease all over the shaft and inside of your wheel and all that? I just broke an axle shaft in my Eclipse the other night, probably just from the boots being torn or worn and all the joint juice was gone, and it just finally bit the dust. I heard a loud grinding noise too. At first, when I was goin 40mph or so and it went, it sounded like I was running on a flat tire, it had that kinda flopping/grinding noise. I don't know if a diffie can just break when you're driving around all reserved like.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If your hanging crooked on the rear end on one side it could be the retaining clips that hold the half shafts in the rear end... you will not see much... mine would only go clunk when I went around a right turn then the whole shaft came out so far as soon as I straightend out the **** thing went back in....couldnt figure it until we put it on a lift and then we saw that we could actually pull the whole tire and shaft out so far....

jack it up and see if you got play pulling it out.....PUT IT ON JACK STANDS FIRST....AND DONT YANK THE CAR OFF INTO YOUR LAP.....LOL.....some of the things you see over the years.....
bob

·
Registered
702 Posts
ummm yeah jack it up carefully and prepare to get dirty. :) Might even call that friend of yours to help you pull your diffy out. It does sound like the retaining ring on the inside, hopefully it hasnt messed up anything and you can just replace it with a new ring....maybe....I dunno....if it was mine it would have dissintegrated...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.