ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Duralube in my high milage 160K 280zx that was running fine. After running it for 15 min. I shut it off, 2 days later I tried to start it and it just turned over and over like there was no spark. I pulled 3 plugs and they are coated black! the electrodes have what looks like black peach fuzz all over them. They won't clean up, I'm going to put new ones in, should I drain my fresh oil change before I put new plugs in? Or did I kill my motor and give Duralube the bill?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>Not according to the commercial!</b>

Your engine should be fine. I stay away from those oil additives and crap like that. However, if I had a Viper I would add duralube, drain the oil, and then run it around the track! HaHa! The only additive I have ever used was Marvel mystery oil in a junkyard motor I had installed years back. It removed all the gummed up old oil and made all the insides look nice. Just drain the oil, replace it and put in a new set of plugs and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
567 Posts
RE: Not to sound like a commercial, but.....!

Believe it or not; I had an 82 n/a that had close to 180k on the motor. This car had been purposly abused by the previous owner who sold it to me for $200. I have to admit since it only cost me 2 bills I also abused the car, BADLY. I did put Dura-lube in it though, and after work one night, a disgrutled co-worker who lost a raise to yours truly, decided he would be cute and loosen the oil plug on the car. I noticed my gauge reading 0 oil pressure on the way home (about 5 very spirited miles later) I looked under the car and noticed oil dripping out. Thats when I realized I had driven the car with no oil. I didn't have any proof how long it had run dry, but that was enough for me to decide that I would keep dura-lube in all my cars from that piont on. BTW you should have seen the look on the guy's face when I drove it into work the next day. It was such a priceless look I had to wipe it off for him!! Haha!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: Not to sound like a commercial, but.....!</

I've used it twice, and had no problems.
I fact my temperature was slightly lower in the summer when I was on the highway.
Keep in mind that duralube is synthetic and very thin...maybe your engine was burning oil, and maybe you did well with 20W50 but when you added duralube oil was able to slide through the rings.
I have 165+K miles and it runs like new. Whether duralube has helped in the past (90K, 120K and 145K) I don't really know !!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Duralube will make your engine burn a little oil. I've used it in a 240 z motor and used a quart every 1K from then on. Talked to a nissan Mech. He confirmed what I said.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.