ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
it wouldn't mess with the car, but if you start detonating, you'll just detonate, instead of it cutting your boost and retarding to let you know/ not damage the car. I think. Oh, edit, if its not plugged in than you'll run the code, but you can do the resistor trick, like me.

Post Edited (Feb 1, 1:03pm)

1,096 Posts
In a n/a the det sensor is not as big of a deal as opposed to a TT. You can do the resistor trick but it is highly recommended not to if nothing else relocate it to a more conveninet location. Doing the resistor trick on a TT is a temp. solution with the posability of trashing your motor.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: det sensor DANGER!!!

It's possible that one of the factors that melted TTenacious's spark plug, and maybe piston and valves, was that his car had an inoperative det sensor. Either thru his action, or a previous owner's work.

No one has summed up all the contributing factors to his sad dilemna ( see earlier posts this week), and I know that MaxDoc will prob do that soon enough, but the wrong heat range plugs, poor quality gas, no detonation sensor, and flattening the throttle to 130 mph can easily fry many expensive parts in a TT, stock or higher boost. The wrong ignition timing can also do the same. The combustion chamber gets waaay too hot.

I think his experience is a lesson to us all - always replace and keep active your detonation sensor, for every TT, and especially critical for higher boost cars. DO NOT wire around it. It's there for one reason - TO SAVE YOUR ENGINE!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Actually it's unlikely that a "working" DET sensor would have saved TTenacious's engine. At 130MPH his RPMs were outside the range where the DET sensor is even being used. The DET sensor is used primarily to prevent low RPM loading and preignition up to about 3000 RPM's beyond that it's effectiveness diminishes and beyond around 4000 RPM's it has virtually no impact on fuel or timing. The Nissan engineers knew that the background engine noise at these RPMs and above were too great for the DET sensor to be reliable, so there are provisions within the program to "disable" the DET sensor as an input into the fuel and ignition calculations.

The DET sensor will not save your engines if you insist on using bad gas, the wrong plugs and screw with the base timing. The Z32 that I've tracked several times lately has never had a DET sensor installed and I have never had problems with it. I always use good gas, set the ignition correctly and used the correct plugs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for that accurate clarification JT. What then do you suppose are the factors that caused his spark plug to melt? Are you implying that his incorrect plugs were the sole cause?

Let's utilize TTenacious's misfortune as a learning tool. We can all gain collective education from each of our various misfortunes.

At some point we shall learn what else failed or melted or burnt or bent in his Number 2 cylinder. At that point perhaps an analysis can be made of what happened, and how others can prevent same.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
A very good point. My guess was an excessively lean condition coupled with incorrect timing. At 17psi you,re well past the point where the stock 370cc injectors can provide the fuel needed. Going lean under boost is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

If you have to learn something from this incident, then it's not to push the hardware and electronics beyond the level they're setup for. That's the prime reason for "stages" in the first place. They provide us with proven methods for increasing performance in a balanced way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.