Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

With a lot of thinking and thinking of using different set ups with a high compression i decided i'd be best with turbo:) So my question is to all you turbo pros out there is what should i look at getting, I got the p90a head already, i can get a turbo block(going to look for a one with AT and low miles:) Having a big of trouble finding the turbo:( and haven't found any of the other stuff. What kind of system should i used soemone told me SDS.. well anyways if any of you guys can teach this young Jedi knight that would greatly be appreciated;)
zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Decided on going turbo!:) Finally</b>

Yuichi.
A word of advice, it is best not to buy stuff piece meal. Be patient and buy a whole parts car. It'll be cheaper in the long run. I recently purchased a 1983 ZXT for $500 in running condition. Car has very little rust, body's little ruff, dash is shot. The car just wasn't maintained, and wasn't getting boost. As it turned out the turbo itself was good, but was not boosting because of manifold leak $10 fix (if you do the work yourself)
By the way, this car is a manual (T5 BW). I've checked the compression 155lb to 160lb. So don't get misled by generalizations (manuals are more likely abused... not always). On my 82zxt with auto tranny, if I floor the gas the shift point is always above 5k. So it is just as easy to abuse an auto. Anyway my 83ZXT still hauls ass. Also use the T5 if you can find it, it's tougher and has better gearing, it's true it shifts a little harder but I never have problem finding the gears. Also it gives the car a true sports car feel. Very tight, know what I mean?
Anyway, unless you have tons of money, and want to go horse power craze, stick with the stock setup. You can always upgrade later.
Good luck
Tom H.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Young Knight, Don't go over to the Turbo Side..

Just messing with you man, Turbo's have great potential to make HP. Me i am just going the N/A way and I will get the Power of Low-end torque. Don't spend too much money,

Dustin

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE:Don't underestimate the pwr of the Dark Side

Dustin, I hate to burst your bubble, but a properly set up turbo will make TONS of low end torque. I start making boost at 1500 rpm, at which point torque takes off. For example, my car stock ('77 n/a) made 129ft/lb of torque at the wheels by 3,000 rpm, a well built 3.1L made 169ft/lb, and my car (w/stock n/a motor) with a turbo made 270 ft/lb at the same rpm. These are all figures from a 'Dynojet' dyno. I'm not trying to rag on you at all, just many people have a misconception about turbos.

Granted, before you go out and slap a turbo on your Z, you need to know a bit about FI and the certain requirements of turbo motors.

Rcr X

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: Young Knight, Don't go over to the Turbo Side.

SDS is a waste if you are using a stock turbo. If you are going to go with aftermarket engine management, then get a real turbo to match it. Looks like the poor homeless kid got a job if he's willing to tackle a turbo project. If you are going to go with a stock transplant, then by all means find a complete running car for parts. Even if it needs a motor rebuild or is wrecked you will be way ahead. You will go broke trying to piece a stock system together. If you are going to go with aftermarket engine management, intercoolers, etc, then all you need is the turbo exhaust manifold to start with. Build from there. The turbo block and P90 head is also a good start. The T-5 will require a custom driveshaft, custom tranny mount, and major hacking of the console to fit in a 240. The shifter is even further forward than a regular 5 speed's. What's the budget?
As cheap as possible--Don't go turbo, it will never get done
$500-$1000--stay as close to a stock turbo system as possible and do all the work yourself. Most of the budget if not all should be spent on buying a running turbo car to work with.
$1000-$2500--now it gets interesting. Here's where you have to make the performance compromises to stay under budget that you won't want to. Such as no intercooler, Small turbo, etc.
$2500-$3500--as long as you do the work yourself you should be able to most of the bells and whistles.
over $3500--call me, I'll set you up , buddy!!

greg
71 240z
Disclaimer: All prices subject to change without notice

·
Registered
364 Posts
RE: Young Knight, Don't go over to the Turbo Side.

Yuichi.... Greg.....

Disclaimer: All Comments subject to change without notice....

Rich Dude.... so what's the budget?????

Cheers,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh man i have to get a job:(

Anyone wanna hook me up with a job where i can pick my nose and go on zcar.com all day like my hero dennis:)? greg i was thinking whatever it takes to get it done:) 3500 sounds nice but i'd probably have to work all summer for that. Sigh.. time to look for a job:(
zya
yuichi
p.s. Help me find a job!

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
auto abuse

Anybody who says that an auto isn't abused has never ridden with me! :)
A=always
U=under
T=turbo boost
O=over revved!
"Keep the shiny side up!"

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
RE: auto abuse

I'll agree, especially on a turbo car. a good launch technique at the track is to bring the revs up with the car in gear until you start to build boost and the brakes won't hold anymore. When the light turns green (last yellow, really) let off the brake, push the gas all the way down, and you are off like a rocket. One of my GN buddies uses a transbrake in his car and leaves the line under 20 pounds of boost. Low 10 second street car, and it's an automatic. I think the "buy an automatic" suggestion is largely a myth, same for the mileage of a car. I would buy a motor based more on the condition of the car as a whole rather than any options. Better yet do a compression or leakdown test as a minimum on any motor you plan to buy and use without rebuilding. Don't depend on the junkyard's "guaranteed not to smoke for thirty days" warranty.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
432 Posts
RE: RE:Don't underestimate the pwr of the Dark Sid

greetings from the underworld of V8 powered Z's. as far as torque goes take a peek at the ratings on a stock 350 at JTR web site very realistic. as i told you before i have a 240 with a complete corvette drivetrain yes this includes the rear,and the first time i took it out to the blvd.for a spin while everyone around was wondering why my Z sounded like the carnivore it is, i let this bad boy loose at the first sight of green, ripping past like a blurr of lightning,were talkin torque that lifted the front enough that the twist in spring spacers fell right out on the ground. and the truth of the whole thing is that this kind of blvd. terror can be built for far less $ and a little common sense for far less than a turbo build. unless you are a datsun purist and i know there are many. this is the way to go to get a REAL head turner kinda like good looks and charm (V8) that is

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
Nader, Vader, V-8'er!

502 Cadillac engine fits just fine, right? There is no substitute for Q-bic inches. Just be wary...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I won't turn to the v8 dark side;)

nah chaz i'd rather go with a turbo, v8s i'm a datsun L6 person:) L6 power and the cool thing if you beat a v8 you can hahah i kicked your @$$ with a L6;)
hehe I now understand how much abuse a AUTO can take now guys:pthanks:)

yuichi

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
RE: I won't turn to the v8 dark side;)

'Ichi,
I believe the correct phrase is:
"Wow, I just had a V-8"

·
Registered
432 Posts
RE: Nader, Vader, V-8'er!

wary, wary not contrary my bro in law is looking for a donor for his 454 right now it will fit ....yes cu. inches make my spine tingle....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heheheh <--giggles like the pillsberry dough bo

tehehehehe eat muffins!

sorry that was random and i'm bored
zya
yuichi
p.s. tony i've decided to not go with the turbo hood louvers, i'm either going with the corvette hood or the normal 78 hood vents i'll take a picture of the corvette one and let u see when i can, and tell me what u think:)
zya
yuichi

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
hey, get it outta a STATION WAGON!!!

Yeah, that's it. Get it outta an old Z-stationwagon with an automatic. They're always owned by old fogeys who never abuse them. Or change the oil...
Myths are everywhere, I'll remind all of Mr. K's words: Sportscar is in your mind, not under the hood or in the lines of the sheetmetal. Sportscar is in the mind, and the heart of the driver." Remember he used to sell DATSUN TRUCKS under the premise they were "like a sportscar"!

·
Registered
432 Posts
RE: Nader, Vader, V-8'er!

now, now , whats all this buzz about! Oh! it's a straight 6. personally i like my car not only to rumble but to mean it....take it easy guys bye.

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
CHAZ-I got the donor car fer yer BRO!

Dude, this is no shi*! I've got a really nice donor car in theback yard for that 454>
A 1966 Toyota Corona!
My buddy fell through on buying it from me, and now it's sitting there, and recently even MY brain has been stimulated by the "350 complete 149$ you-pull-it" ads in the paper. Bench seats, two-speed Automatic, narrowed Ford 9"...
After all, IT'S JUST A TOYOTA!!! LOL, FOMALOL!;-)

·
Registered
432 Posts
RE: hey, get it outta a STATION WAGON!!!

goes to prove grazies make all the money debledebledobledreeet gugugugug gagagagaga i hope this helps me this weekend now i'm gonna take my '97 turbo diesel F-350 dually to the races thanks to MR. K

·
Registered
432 Posts
RE: CHAZ-I got the donor car fer yer BRO!

now thTS SOMETHING TO JUMP ABOUT isn't that just like them darn Japs to sell cars in America named after booze

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.