ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dead tach

517 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Unknown User 
#1 ·
I recently took my dash out and put it back in, while the dash was out i installed a hi6 ignition in the car, when all was put back together i changed to a 280 tach by advice of a fellow Z owner, he said that the hi6 only worked with that peticular one. i changed all the wiring (did i even do that right?) and still have no tach, i am getting desperate any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance, Evan

#2 ·
I also have a HI-6 and my tach doesn't work (before or after the HI-6) I replaced the tach with a new one from motorsport (both 240s). If anyone knows definitively if this wont work with the HI-6 or can tell me which wires go where so I can troubleshoot, I would appreciate it.
Mike

#3 ·
If you take the tach apart to get to the needle, flick it. If the needle doesn't return to below zero (as in sticks someplace)you need to place fiber spacers (motherboard screw insulators) between the rear circuit board. Fixed my 78 tach real quick... Let me know if this works..

#4 ·
> I also have a HI-6 and my tach doesn't work
> (before or after the HI-6) I replaced the
> tach with a new one from motorsport (both
> 240s). If anyone knows definitively if this
> wont work with the HI-6 or can tell me which
> wires go where so I can troubleshoot, I
> would appreciate it.
> Mike

I just installed a HI-6, PS-91 and CRANE TACH ADAPTOR in my 240Z. It worked perfect 1st time! You need the tach adaptor!!!! I tried it without, the car ran fine but not the tach. The adaptor is just a properly sized transformer connected across the two distributor leads to give the tach a high voltage pulse ( as I understand it!) Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.