ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strange. For some reason, if I'm in first gear and holding the clutch down all the way and then I let go of the clutch, it doesn't come up. As I rev the engine the clutch pedal comes up and I accelerate as normal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I failed to mention, this was after the car was backed into a ditch. The rear wheels went in, and it looks like the car was resting on the differential (the exhaust pipe right next to the differential is dented). Could that be related?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's probably not related to backing it into the ditch.

What most likely your problem is is the clutch master or slave cylinder. Bleed the system first and if that fixes it, you'll probably be ok for a while.

If that doesn't help, you need to replace the clutch slave cylinder and the master cylinder. To make it easier to bleed you can also replace the clutch dampener with a front 280zx brake hose, or a rear z31 while you're at it.

Make sure to put teflon tape on all the fittings, and bleed it when you're done.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep Slave!! Happened to me to, But bleeding it isn't going to help you need to fill the master with dot 3 and pump the Sh*t out of that clutch pedal..!! you'll pump that thing 500+ times no joke!! Good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both had full oil. I pumped the clutch and it went away. Hmm.

There is a new puttering noise from the back of the car. I think this is from the large dent in the exhaust pipe? Think so?

·
Registered
281 Posts
yup... exhaust is probably constrained on the way out. Either get it cut out and a new piece put in place, or just go with some new exhaust (if you've saved up) from Certified Muffler.

Also, i had a similar problem with the clutch pedal mashing to the floor, and all i had was a leak in the hydraulic hoses for the clutch. I still had fluid in the resovior, as far as i could see with all the dirt around it. Had it fixed in an hour by some smart mechanic friends of mine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I think you may have either rubbed your slave cylinder on the ground while pulling out of this ditch, or perhaps you snagged the rubber hose on something and tore it a bit. Either way, it sounds like you have air in your clutch system. Try bleeding it and see how long it helps. I also had similar symptoms when my master cylinder died, but since you just recently scraped the bottom of your car i'd check the slave first.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yep, Check the slave and the master you should be able to see where it is leaking from the slave is on the passenger side right by the transmission if you push back on the rubber peice it will probably show you a leak and if theres no leak there or in the hose that goes to the slave then you need to go under you dash where the clutch pedal is and push back the rubber peice there and see if its leaking from there! if either of these things are leaking then you need to replace which ever one is leaking

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.