ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the black coffee can looking part is? It has vacuum line running to it. No electrical connections. 84 300zx

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
well, I can tell you that it doesn't belong in there. if it has vacuum lines attached to it, then someone may have tried to make some kind of custom vacuum tank to fix something that obviously uses vacuum to work. there are many systems on the Z31 that use vacuum. could be a vacuum tank for the A/C as the stock original may have failed (the little canister in front of the coolant overflow tank) or maybe even a modification for the cruise control, who knows.

have you traced the vacuum lines from the coffee can to where they are routed to? that should at least give you an idea. check out www.xenonzcar.com and go the the Z31 link. there is a section in there that describes where and what all the vacuum lines do. or just simply remove the coffee can and see how the car runs... you'll know then and there if certain things stop working.

it might be on there just as a joke to make the engine look more mean, haha! but its very ghetto any way you look at it.

Bon

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm used to seeing those on Lincolns and Mercurys from the 70s. It was some type of charcoal canister to reduce emissions. Not sure what it's being used for in your scenario.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kinda guessing what your asking about, but, on my 84, that's the vacuum canister and pump for the HVAC. It connects to the valve that controls coolant flow to the heater core. If you have the digital cabin heater, that's what it does. If you have manual controls, not sure.
And, yes, it does bel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts