ZCar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new disc brakes for the front, and would like to convert the rears to a disc brake as well. Does anyone know of a place in Canada that I can buy these parts from. I don't really want to pay 670 dollars US to bring the parts across the border.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
I'm not up on it, but I believe there's a disc brake conversion using parts from a Toyota model. Some Internet searching may find the needed info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not up on it, but I believe there's a disc brake conversion using parts from a Toyota model. Some Internet searching may find the needed info.
I saw those, I was just thinking that those huge calipers would add to much weight up on the front wheels rotating. Going to do a bit for research into them

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,229 Posts
Larger rotors would add to the total sprung weight, but perhaps not a great deal. Unless you're track racing it, I'm not sure whether it's worth doing. A rear disc conversion may be worthwhile, as discs all around provide excellent stopping on the Z cars.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Also some of that drum brake hardware is becoming NLA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Larger rotors would add to the total sprung weight, but perhaps not a great deal. Unless you're track racing it, I'm not sure whether it's worth doing. A rear disc conversion may be worthwhile, as discs all around provide excellent stopping on the Z cars.
I was thinking about rotating mass, probably not that big of a deal. definitely getting rid of the drums in the back for disc brakes

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Larger rotors won't make that much difference as far as rotating mass. There isn't enough difference to matter. The 4 piston calipers don't weigh that much more than the 2 piston calipers and won't make any difference in the cars handling either. The ONLY down side of the 4 piston calipers is that you have to trim and bend the backing plate which isn't a big deal either. The 4 piston calipers are off of a Toyota 4x4 from 84-88 with a 4 cylinder engine. The V6 version would be a vented rotor with 4 piston calipers. You can get the 4 piston calipers at most auto parts stores, even in Canada. I sell new stock rotors for either style and I sell cross drilled/siped rotors for either style as well. If you live close enough to the border, I can ship items to a shipping hub on the US side and you can pick your order up from them. Most places charge 5.00 for that service per package and I have a list of them that covers most if not all the states. Z man of Washington

1 - 12 of 12 Posts