ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Removal

337 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  baseballZ 
#1 ·
I think i'm going to remove my dash this weekend and I've never had that experience. I'm wondering whats involved and is there anything I should watch out for. Any tips or tricks?? Is it just as simple has unscrewing a few screws? Thanks

G
#2 ·
I have had the dash out on my 83T and 86T. It was not fun. My advice to someone doing this for the first time is to get some small containers, sandwich bags, etc. so that you can mark the various nuts, bolts and screws that need to be removed and replaced. If you just throw everything in a big bucket you are in for some real challenges when the time comes to put it back in. Other than that you are right, it is just taking off a bunch of screws, nuts and bolts. Set the day aside.

Also, you did not mention why you were taking it out. I suggest that, whatever the task is, you have all the parts you need before starting. You don't want to get the dash out then wait a week for a part to come in. Best to do it all at one time while everything if fresh in your mind. Hope this helps. Good luck. John

#4 ·
Oops I forgot to mention that its a 79 280zx. The reason I'm taking out the dash, last night on my way home it was cold out and I had the heat on full blast, I adjusted it to a colder position and all of a sudden coolant come pouring from underneath the dash from the passenger side. I can have it all the way on the hottest position and no coolant comes out, also when I turn it off its fine, just when I move the selector to the cold position. So I'm thinking heater hose. I already have the part from another heater hose incident, so I figure now would be a good time to replace it and see whats going on underneath there

G
#5 ·
There is a good possibility that it is your heater core. If it is, you might want to consider getting it ahead of time. I strongly recommend you go with the factory Nissan unit for this as aftermarket heater cores usually fit poorly and appear to be of less quality. While you have it down replace as many of the coolant hoses and vacuum lines as you can. And to the extent your wallet can take it, I would replace all the (actuators) vacuum servo units on the heater box. Once it is done, you can forget about it. That's what I did on my 86T and have never regretted it, but it was a big chunk of change to do all of it at one time. Good luck. Drop me a line if you have any questions. John.

#6 ·
I used a 'sharpie' permanent ink pen and #ed all the connectors prior to removal. 1 goes to 1, 2 to 2, etc. Label all the containers with the hdwe. so you know where it goes. Get a helper to actually remove and replace, 2 people are much better than trying to balance a dash by yourself.

#9 ·
Whoa there
Before you pull out your dash ..OR change the heater core...make sure thats what it is. My 78 leaked water/antifreeze like crazy when you turn on the defroster. I took out the core,and it was fine. Turned out to be the firewall connection valve ( with A/C it is vacuum operated) . The seal inside had degraded and when you turn on defroster (with heat) water would run up and out the diaphram. I changed this piece (from my parts car) and problem solved. I did not take out my dash...I took out my glove box and the blower motor assembly. Not too bad a job.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.