ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, have a 1977 280z. Dash lights worked fine for about a year, then they would occasionally not work when switched on but would come on after driving a few miles. Now, they are not working. Exterior lights are fine, no other problems that I can notice. Any ideas on the problem?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ok, have a 1977 280z. Dash lights worked fine for about a year, then they would occasionally not work when switched on but would come on after driving a few miles. Now, they are not working. Exterior lights are fine, no other problems that I can notice. Any ideas on the problem?
fuse
lights switch
rheostat
wiring to any of the above

·
Registered
541 Posts
fuse
lights switch
rheostat
wiring to any of the above
Check those things in the order Dave M wrote them.

Fuses in these older cars don't necessarily blow, they or the fuse holder get corroded. Sometimes even pulling and replacing the fuse provides enough abrasive action to make contact again. If that's your case, pull the fuse and use some emery cloth and circuit cleaner on both the fuse and clips. While you're doing that, do all the other fuses too.

The light switch definitely is a suspect. That's a bit more difficult but do a search on this forum and you'll find some posts regarding R&R plus the cleaning and refurb if necessary. You can also get a kit which will greatly reduce the current flowing through the ageing switch as now the switch simply activates a relay which then allows the lights to work.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Check the connector under the steering wheel. IIRC, you'll likely find a damaged green/yellow wire. It may be green/white.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 83 280zx and it was the bulbs in the dash they were all burned they must had died one at a time but I didnt notice until i had all lights out.So i replace all eight bulbs in the dash will see tonight when its dark if my problem was fixed i had already checked fuses and they were all good. Previous problem with car was it was making loud belt sounds coming from the front of the car my inspection revield my alternator mounting screw were gone or not there so i go Install mounting bolts and problem solved. NOW I Must go get resisters for front Led ligbts because just the high beams work no low beems so it must be the leds lack of voltage not recovnizing the LEDS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts