ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I retarded my timing, blocked off the Air Flow regulator (it's bad and needs replaced), adjusted the idle screw and fiddled with the BCDD, AFM and the TPS. Some days it will idle fine. Other days it will start out at regular idle but by the time I get to work it's idling really high and then won't go down until some random time in the future. I hate sitting at a light idling at 2000RPM. It also sounds like there is a lean backfire athigh idle.

WHAT THE **** IS UP???!!!

Signed

Crazy in Phoenix.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Darn idle won't drop!!!</b>

Your air regulator might be sticking pull it off and spray some carb cleaner in there to get rid of carbon build up .

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Crazy In Phx :)..it's a new club!

Steve, I know this is basic...but do you have a vacuum leak possibly??? with my brake booster leaking, my idle goes up and gets unstable when brakes are applied...especially at stop lights. Also agree with clint78z...I did that with my air regulator which would not move at all...then loosened the screw and adjusted the opening when cold...works like it is supose to now...was just lucky on that one me thinks!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: Darn idle won't drop!!! Cold Start Valve?

Do you still have your cold start valve? If it freezes-up (no pun intended) in the open position your Z will act like it has a vacuum leak. I had a similar problem which was diagnosed by disconecting and plugging the cold start valve. I have since replaced the cold start with another but will replace the internal components for little money when I get the chance.
Alan '78z
Check out the 2+2 our club is raffling off --and my Z while you are at it! See Alan's '78 in Members' Rides at capitalzoftexas.com

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Cold Start Valve?

Interesting, but won't the car just run really rich if the cold start valve is stuck open?

I am almost %100 that it is a vaccum leak of some sort. Now that I plugged the Air flow regulator with a block-off gasket the idle is much lower. But even with the idle adjust screw -All The Way In-, the car still idles at 1200rpm. Then when it decides to drop, the engine just dies. So I now have turned the idle adjust screw out to a point where at low idle it won't die but at fast idle it won't rev way up. ****! I am taking Alex Avery's suggestion and going to a mechanic with this one. ****!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.