ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to keep daddy long legs from spinning webs all over your Z? I clean them off, then in a few days, they're all back again, mainly in the engine compartment and underneath. What a waste of time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hay thats better than birds making nests, webs don't burn. Drive the car more often, just kidding . Good luck Gary Portland

·
Registered
232 Posts
I came face to face with about 3 black widows climbing around my Z when I did the head job....got to the point where I could identify the web and SLOOOOWLY back off. I drive it now and still see spiderwebs clinging it to the parking lot at work from just sitting for 6 hours...constitutes car pool?
chris"widow freaker"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have heard that this works.

I havn't tried it but was told that if you take some moth balls and crush them up and put them in a shallow plastic dish the spiders won't go near it. Myself? I see a spider web on my car I phone the towing Co. and have the car hauled away!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey, an interesting (?) fact - o.k. maybe useless fact but Black Widow spider bites aren't deadly to an adult human, they'll make you pretty sick though - some consolation huh? But here is the interesting (?) comparison: Daddy Long Legs bites are actually more venomous than Black Widows making them more deadly! But, and this is the GOOD part, BUT the little guys -Daddy Long Legs- can't get their mouths open wide enough to bite humans so they need not be feared! FWIW

RLS30

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you tried fuming it?

seriously, a bug bomb thing might work, just don't plan on driving it for a long time. and give it ample time to fumiage (doors/hatch open)

if they're getting into the engine, just go out and start it up once a day, and listen to it purr. *warning* that may lead to actually driving the car. q:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Go to Ace Hardware & buy a spray can of spider-go-away-or-I'll-kill-you stuff...yeah, I know, I know...respect our environment...(sheeshe!!) :eek:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
When I go to the Bahamas I always bring back some good old fashion DDT.

It just so happens I'm a breeder of Black, Brown and Red widow Spiders for hobby.
Yes its true Black Widows does not kill most people, when I move them they roll up and play dead. But if you live in South Florida you may see the one that will stop your heart and this is the Red Widow. I have one in front of me right now, so pretty she is.
They live in only one place on the whole of earth and that’s here, Southern Florida.
If they have an egg sack, they will bite and bump about the same stopping power as 10 Rattle Snakes. The Black Widow is like 100 Fire ant bites. I was moving a Reds egg sack for hatching and the bitch ran up the scissors and gave me a kiss on my arm. Krissy drove me to an ER with a line of people even gun shot victims and they rushed me past them all.
They flew in some anti-venom from Orlando and this cost me $3.00 because I have insurance. Hehehehehe must of cost tens of thousand bucks.
It will never happen again……
**** when we were kids we would go around the scrub line and twist them up in a stick and kill them.
Now I provide the State of Florida with hundreds of pods for their reintroduction to the scrubs.
The web of these little girls is mostly funnel shaped and they hang out on the bottom.
On the other hand we have the Brown Recluse that will mess you up big time and they live in lots of Florida cars. They sometimes drop from behind the visor as you drive.
Now this is heart stopping. If you see a widow clap a clean jar over it, give her a twig or two and a fly once a week and you have a new pet that freaks people out.
WARNING, if she makes a pod you must remove and flush it. The babies are in the hundreds and can exit through the tiny air holes in the lid.
Once a widow does the wild thing she can make baby pods for months.
When I find who stole my car for those 3 hours you can bet I will flick about 10 pods in their area.
But since they are Red Widows and not a non native it’s not a crime.
I don’t think…

Unknown Person
Hollywood, Florida

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Brown recluse...

here in CA, too. They like wood piles. Bring 'em on home with an armload of firewood. Venom said to desintegrate your flesh... if you survive, you're gonna be a candidate for the amputation surgeon.

If I'm not mistaken the brown recluse is real similar to black widow, except brown. Hourglass on the belly. Is that right, Michele?

Not a good companion for riding in Z or engine bay company while wrenching!

---------- Al

·
Registered
571 Posts
Re: Brown recluse...

Hi Ya ------> Al
Whats cookin?
The recluse is Ugly and they run under all places even your bed.
It’s flat unlike the widow and has a banjo mark on it’s back.
They can run like the dickens too.
I am 100% terrified of that spider.
I saw one on the wall and put 2 bug bombs in each room.
The reason I don’t collect them is they are not native and they run right out a jar.
I will and have bug bombed my Z cars for spiders.
I would go as far as saying they are just about everywhere, ya just don’t see them thus the name recluse.

Crazy Spider Lady
Hollywoodsilvania, FL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.