ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for advice and I heard from the grapevine some guys here may have done this.

I have heard of people using mild steel welds els schedule -40. I was also thinking of using 304L stainless weld els schedule -10 or stainless mandrel bent tubing pieces.

i was thinking of using 1.5". for a 6cyl.?

anyone ever do this or know anyone that did. I'm wondering how long the mild steel ones hold up.?

thanks

· Registered
5,829 Posts
There are systems out there that are just what you want. Look at Motorsport Auto they have a system for you. The 1.5" pipe is to small for the engine and it will smother all the breathing. Good rule of thumb, if you drive next to a wall and you floor it and you can hear a sound like a canister leaking air the exhaust is to small.

· Registered
532 Posts
Jeff missed the question. We are talking about headers for a turbo L6. This has been done by many, and hopefully one of them will respond. Naturally, the thicker the material you use, the longer it will last. I would think that the stainless manifold would be better than the weld ell, however much more expensive. How much power to you plan on making? The stock manifold will support up to about 400hp.

Ian

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about the mis-comunication there.
Well I'm trying to fit a vg30et into a 4x4 :) I need to relocate the turbo so it fits. I have seen pictures of some of the custom jobs done on the early datsun L series. I know that in Corky Bells book Maximum boost he shows how to do it . I havent got around to getting a copy yet.

i wanted to get opinions of people that may have tried it. Ideally i want to do the stainless but i need to justify the added cost.

If people have had success with the mild steel uncoated then i may try that. However if everyone is ceramic coating them ...then i might as well go with the stainless.

I aslo wanted to get an idea of what people have used for the stainless. so far i'm looking at the 304L weld els (fairly cheap), or 16 gauge 304 mandrel bent tube $$
also if anyone has suggestions for where materials have been obtained for the stainless.

thanks for the reply

· Registered
202 Posts
I think he is talking about "turbo-extentions'? HKS and TRUST has extentions.

i.e., RB-series fit in LEFTY S30 just fine-if single turbo, but for RB26 twin turbo in S30, turbo extensions need to be made. to bring the turbines up a bit (using extentions), or to the front (with custom made manifold) otherwise the steering shaft fits exhaust) The righty S30's dont have this problems at all...

At any rate, for VG series, I have no idea how it's done, but check out HKS or TRUST.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.