ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had finished my custom sub yesterday. It sounds great. It make me happy and i have room to add another. I bought 1 fosgate 12 and a fosgate 301s 900w amp, with the intent of buying another sub but never got to it. SO what i did was i took out the back carpet. Then i took out the hatch compartment thing beind the seat. And the bottom plastic tray thing underneath the lift door. Then i went to home depot and bought a 3/8" piece of scrap wood that cost 5$. Went home and used the carpet as a stencil. Then cut out the wood. Then i cut a hole in the wood for the sub and a hole in the plastic cardbord hatch thing. Then i screwed the sub into the wood and the plastic hatch lid thing. That made it a pretty solid piece. Then i started to screw into the fame about 8 screws went into the frame total, just for riggidity. It makes it sound a lot better and holds together better. after the sub was in place, i ran the wires under the compartment and to the underside of the drivers side seat. Then i poked a small hole in some rubber that already had what i think is the speedo meter cable in it and put the battery lead through that. I ran that under the console and then behind the driver side seat. THe i put two washers under each of the rear bolts lifting the seat just enough for the amp to fit under it. I hooked up the power lead and grounded the amp to the bolt the seat is held with. I cranked it up and it is purty. Then i put the carpet back ontop of the rear cargo area and you cant even tell its there. PPL look in the back of my car and are very puzzled. Thats after a day of driving. I am happy. If any one wants to attempt this i would gladly help. It is awesome.
I also have room(when i get some money) to add another 12 bridging that one to the old one.

I will be posting the pics on my site shortly. I LOVE Zsss

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just to the wood ontop of the hatch. the compartment basically makes a chamber for the sound. ITs sweet. Its like those stock seats they sold with subs in them. YOu can really feel it.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
You should hear a stereo with a real box that's been designed for that same speaker. You're probably wasting about half the capability of that sub by not having it in a properly designed box.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea but urs can get stolen. i know the box makes a lot of difference. Its a small car and it sounds good. I might go back and try to make a real box with a car audio place. But for now it sounds good and no one knows its there and it really cant get stolen so im happy.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
How is mine more likely to get stolen than yours?

Mine is a box that's bolted from the inside to the metal supports. To remove the box, you have to remove the speaker from the box and then you can remove the box from the trunk.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bc i said so. Stop being brutal i thought urs was just in a box in there. There are no pics of ur metalsupport bolts. sorry, i love you, will you marry me. Cant we all just get along? whered u put the amp?? Whats the best way to tweak it for the best sound. Like i have a treb and bass settings for my speakers and then a subwoofer setting that goes to 15. What should the crossover be??

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
cross over points are best set based of music choice and sub capabilities itself. Some subs will play higher bass notes just fine. Generally, set the crossover to about 80 to 100 Hz and work around from there. Clipping is bad for your amp and speaker. Your best bet is to just tune it to your ears. And then ask someone else their opinions.

I keep mine set so that I can turn the stereo all the way up and not have any popping. I have the bass turned down and the sub out turned down slightly as well. The rest of the speakers are crossed over at 120 or 150 Hz and it goes around that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would also be worried about your amp over heating due to little to no air movement for heat to disapate.
I would also rebuild your "custom box" to something more to your speaker's specs.....you will notice the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.