ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I've been driving my AE for 2 months now, and I can't be happier! Recently, however, I've been asked about my car quite frequently. A few guys from my school and even some random guy in the Pep Boys Automart asked me if they could buy it.

I was wondering what would be a reasonable price to sell an AE. So far, it has a K&N filtercharger kit, NGK plugs and a new transmission. The body has a small dent above the wheel, slightly peeling stripe tape, and a few tiny, paintless spots. The interior is perfect, except for the 50th AE mats and the Bodysonics functionability. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with the AE, but I have to play it smart with money, especially since I'm in a money rut. If some one offers me some price above this "reasonable price" I'd like to take advantage of it because who knows if this is the peak of this car's popularity, and in a few years it's not so hot. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I'd say you could get away asking $4000 and expect to actually get $3500. There was one on sale a few blocks away from me and it sold for $5000 and was in showroom condition, but i couldn't see paying that kind of money for it.. I dunno though, hopefully others will have better feedback.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
As most would agree the Z31 is not a car for investment, at least not now. Honestly where you live has a lot to do with what older cars are worth. Best thing to do is check your local classifieds and such to see what other AE's are going for. In general I've seen decent to good condition AE's going for 3k-5k. Not sure what a mint condition one would go for but it's honestly up to the buyer. I for one wouldn't spend any more money on an AE over a regualr 84 300zx turbo. Why? Becuase I don't particularly car for them. On the other hand you may find a buyer that is looking only for a AE and sees yours and offers you much more money than it's worth. Decide for yourself whats a good amount to sell for if the chance comes up. Take into account what you paid for it, what you have into it, and if you could buy anything better for the money you get. I love my 280z to death and will probably never sell, I bought it for 1200 and have about 6k into it. That being said if someone offered me 5k for it, which has happened, I wouldn't do it. Besides what I have invested in it there is the attachment I have to the car and the fact that I know whats been done as well as what issues it may still have. For me I would have to get some ridiculous amount like 10k+ for me to consider it. So factor all these things yourself and decide what YOUR price to sell is. Honestly if you are thinking of selling your Z this early into the game with it you probably aren't going to be a Z lifer so sell it and get something you will actually care about. These 300zx's have been holding their value more or less for a while now so chances are they will only go up in value as time goes on. The question is will the 300zx go up or not. The 240z has always been of higher value but now you are starting to see the 260z and 280z go up in value as well as 240'z are getting to expensive. So now we just have to wait to see if the 280zx and 300zx follow suit, although it may take another 10 years or more for it to happen. You don't own a Z for it's value, you own a Z becuase you love the car.

·
Registered
304 Posts
"You don't own a Z for it's value, you own a Z becuase you love the car."
i almost teared up...

well said 280z/300zx, well said

Post Edited (Sep 29, 10:50pm)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
awesome quote

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just reread my first post, and the end of the second paragraph makes me sound like my Z is just an investment. I'm only considering selling it because that dude at Pep Boys offered me $5k for it, which I rejected then later realized that I could probably buy a better running 84 than mine. But don't get me wrong, I love my Z to death. I kicked out my roommate momentarily because he scratched the special mirrored T-tops...(btw does anyone know how I can conceal the scratch? it's on the inside of the T-top). The situation is that I'm in a pinch for money because of college and rent and the escalating gas prices.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
ask $10k large. if they give it, sell it. if not, don't worry about it.

people are stupid. if they really want it, they'll pay anything. if they're full of ****, they'll back down.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I think that 280z/300zx is long winded.. LOL, But really If you've been offered $5k I agree with AZ although $10k is pretty high, and a kid working at pepboys most likley isnt going to come up with 10K
but I would Counter offer at 7 or $8 for sure just to see what he says, But if I was you I would probably go for the $5K after heavy negotiations, Because your right you could probably get a newer Z 89zxT for that kind of money, gee or even a 90's model Z with the DOHC

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm actually with AZ on this one. Perhaps not to the extent of $10,000, but ask 6k - 8k for it. If anyone thinks about paying, and trys to low ball you with a thousand less or anything, your still making a huge profit, so JUMP ON IT. lol. people are stupid. Make up some flabby story about not wanting to sell it because it's so easy to meet girls with the car, but that your tight on money, and you would let it go for, oh say $6,500. You're appealing to them on 2 different levels now. devious.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
"I think that 280z/300zx is long winded."

You are right bdijanni. Sometimes I tend to write a little too much in a post. I guess I just want to make sure I get my thought across clearly and I get carried away talking about Z's. Ask most people I know and they will tell you I can talk about Z's for hours. LOL.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree with Zbum. Ask some outrageous price and see if they bite. Remember "Money talks and Bulls**t walks!".. They can always counter-offer. I've been without a Z for a number of years and now that I have 2 I feel somehow complete. For what they are they're fairly inexpensive to buy and operate. Unlike some of my other money pits over the years.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"except maybe a brand new 350Z... if some1 gave it to me."

I would take a 350Z too, but i'd never buy one.
honestly, i wouldn't buy a z32 either. I really like the oldschool shape of the z31 or any 240/260/280z. The z32 is hot looking, but i prefer the z31. 350z is too rounded and i HATE the look of the bulky integrated rear strut bar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smart idea! at the time the man asked me if he could get it for $5k, i really felt insulted for both my car and I.

btw, if i was given a 350z i wouldnt drive it over my 84...I,d sell it for a good 20k and make my Z the queen of performance (in my lil' town in the suburbs).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I love my Z and if someone who says they love them wants to come up with the 7 to 10,500 nada says its worth.....I might sell it along with the 1500.00 worth of mirrors window motors light motors and all the other spares i have collected crawling through salvage yards...

What kills me is he in FL I see them selling for 2500 to 3500 all the time BUT they are not Turbo's either, and most are not in really mint shape. Mine is about 90% pure restore...and these clowns who buy them and burn them up and junk or sell em for nickels is killing me....

The car is a legend....just go back to when the 240ts hit the market ...now try to find one... thats not rusted to death...

Not an investment car YET......but our day to shall come...until them I will continue to drive around town...watching people stare at it. and make comments ..and ask what year....even the cops pull up next to me and like it...course they would like to catch me opening it up too...which they havent yet...as hard as they try.....LMAO....

Get on Keep it.......They aint commin back or makin anymore...u got a classic...and one day the rest of the auto world will remember. Jus like they do the shelbys, and yanko camero's.....cudas, and vetts....
I got mine....
bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.