> the clutch
> to the floor, it makes sort of a crunching
> or crackling sound
> right at the pedal. Does anyone know what
> causes this, and
> how it can be fixed. Also if it needs
> lubrication, where does
> it go, Thanks in advance for replies.

Your clutch does not need any lubrication, it should be totally dry. If you see oil leaking out from between the transmission and engine, that is a sign of worn seals, and is not good. In regards to your clutch problem, I would venture to say it is either clutch chatter or worn throw out bearings. Whatever it is, this is your cars way of letting you know that something is not working correctly, and should be addressed. I don't know how many miles you have on your car, and how hard you drive it, but I would bet that your clutch is toast.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Hello everybody,
> I have an 83 280zxt and when I go to press
> the clutch
> or crackling sound
> right at the pedal.

Assuming it's a hydraulic clutch, might air bubbles in the master cylinder cause this?
Is the reservoir filled to the correct level?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Maybe I misread

If the sound is just at your pedal, when it is fully depressed, then it can be two things. Either the master cylinder is worn, and the spring and piston are scraping the side of the bore. Or, your clutch pedal pin could be worn. Look under your dash, at the top of the clutch pedal. There should be a pivot pin. It's held in with a spring clip. I replaced mine about 1 year ago. I noticed excessive pedal freeplay and when I removed this pin, it was actually worn down in the center where the clutch pedal pivots. I repalced it with a bolt that I machined the end off of, and drilled a small hole for the spring clip. This bolt was hardened steel, and should wear better than the original part. Besides, it only costs .05. I used some lithium grease here also. By the way, this is the only part that would ever require greasing. Maybe this post will help some more.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> Assuming it's a hydraulic clutch, might air
> bubbles in the master cylinder cause this?
> Is the reservoir filled to the correct
> level?
Yes the reservoir is filled to the correct level, and Dave
made a good point about the pivot pin. About a year
ago I had a 1/2 in. long round pin fall from under my dash
I still have it but did not put it back in because there was
no difference experienced after it fell out. About 2
months ago it started creeking now its more like a crunch
and it is definitely coming from under the dash. I can
here it every time I push the clutch in. If it was the
pin that fell out would the clutch still operate correctly?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
> . If
> it was the
> pin that fell out would the clutch still
> operate correctly?

If it's like the brake pedal that I spent too long staring at last weekend as I replaced my vacuum booster, there is a U-shaped piece that fits around the pedal arm, and the pin goes through one side of the U, then the pedal, and out the other side of the U. Without the pin, the pedal would still push the piston, but the alignment would probably not stay for long.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
> Hello everybody,
> I have an 83 280zxt and when I go to press
> the clutch
> or crackling sound
> right at the pedal. Does anyone know what
> causes this, and
> how it can be fixed. Also if it needs
> lubrication, where does
> it go, Thanks in advance for replies.

Hmmm, been feeding it a little Capt. Crunch? The only thing you can really do is take it apart and check out the clutch/tranny/pilot bushing/throwout bearing. But also check out the clutch pedal to see if anything is getting worn/broken or interfearing with it. Have you tried pushing the clutch in very slowly to see if it makes the noise and when it starts to make noise? You can also run a hose or a tool made for listening to the tranny and bellhousing to see if you can isolate where the noise is comming from. Might save you some time or at least get a better idea of where the noise is comming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.