ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Radio

337 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Madeline Michele 
#1 ·
I have an 83-280zx and the radio is giving me fits. It goes on and off constantly and the antenna goes nuts as well going up and down. Is this a common problem with the 83 model and is there a simple remedy---------other than replacement?. I finally pulled the fuse to stop the thing. Any suggestions??

#3 ·
I have come to the conclusion that everything is a common problem sooner or later.
I would pull the radio and unplug all the wires, spray them down with contact cleaner.
Check the fuse directly on the back of the radio as well.
Now the most likely source of the problem would be a failing or dirty radio power switch. Put a towel down so not to stain the plastic parts some sprays make plastic whiteish.. Then hit that whole area around the round power switch, the theory is some of that cleaner will get into the contacts. Now with the car off hit that button on and off a bunch of times.
If it works send me 3 easy payments of $49.95, act now and I’ll take only 2 easy payments.

Madeline & Kristine
Hollywood, FL

http://browardzcarclub.tripod.com/

Monday Folks

#4 ·
ZilverZX,
Madeline is on right track. Power switch is very common problem on this radios and contact cleaner is your first and easiest option. I don't think fuse is your problem tho. Fuse is either blown or not. Good luck.

mr280zxt
Southern California

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give the thing a shot of cleaner and hope that will do the trick. Like you say they probably all will be a problem sooner or later and I guess when the car hit's its 18th birthday it gets a bit crabby. Hope it works.

#7 ·
I have an extra radio if you can’t get it working.
I'm not sure it works; I need to check it someday.
I pulled the whole stereo unit because I needed a new tape deck.
I haven’t even checked the tape deck come to think about it.
O well I’m going computer mp3 soon anyway.
I just realized something…I procrastinate big time.
I have no idea how I’m going to put my .5mhz to 1.5 gig transceivers in.
Ever notice how I start sentences with “I”?
O well hope you get that radio going.
Remember it’s important to turn the radio on and of with the car off repetitively to loosen up any corrosion.
I need to go to sleep....yawn...

Madeline
Hollywood, FL
Dust Mote 89a

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.