ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 300 ZX non turbo. A couple of months ago, I noticed a drastic fall in my MPG's. I used to get at least 300 mpg and now I'm lucky to get 150. With gas prices what they are - this really sucks. I decided to sell it, but it failed smog. The oxygen level was 10.21 and only .73 is allowed. The timing registered at 18. Isn't that kind of high? What could be causing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad cat? Sorry I'm not up on the lingo, is that catalytic converter? My MAF was recently replaced and the bad mpgs started after that - could that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Cat is catalytic converter. Also what kind of MAF did you get, new or used? If it's used it could be out of wack, meaning that the previous owner tampered with it causing it to read wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MAF was new. Someone else mentioned to me that maybe a plug wasn't plugged back in with the installation and that could be causing it to malfunction, or maybe a cracked hose that is causing a leak. I want to solve the problem, but, being an almost 18 year old car, I don't want to dump a ton of money into it because it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Run the ECU codes? CHTS?

Ways to save some gas costs with your Z....

* new plugs...wires...dist cap & rotor.

* check gas cap to see if it holds pressure...check EVAP system (charcoal can & lines).

* use synthetic oils in the engine...trans...diff...maybe 3% gain in mileage?

* new O2 sensor (if the old one doesn't work)...possible 10-12% gain in mileage...found this out by replacing it.

* a non functioning EGR might cost you 10% in mileage...found this out by disabling mine.

* tire pressure up to max (be SURE and check for good traction)....maybe a 3-5% gain?

* drive like your grandma.....

* for those with a sense of adventure....

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ ...have gained 12% in mpg with an na using acetone

* for those from outer space.....

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=3390503&nav=6uy5aHLq

·
Registered
118 Posts
Zmama wrote: "I have a 1987 300 ZX non turbo. A couple of months ago, I noticed a drastic fall in my MPG's. I used to get at least 300 mpg and now I'm lucky to get 150."

Holy crap! You use to get 300mpg's and now "only" are getting 150 mpg's? Even when my car was only 1 year old, it only got 24 mpg's. What have you done to it to get 12X the fuel economy of when it was new?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, smarty pants, my mistake - I meant to say 300 miles per TANK of gas. Everyone else knew what I meant, but I guess it takes someone "special" to point it out. Feel better now?

Post Edited (Jul 25, 9:17am)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nope, I don't feel "special" or better now. Saw the error and thought it was funny. Pointed it out and thought you would too, guess I was wrong.

Lighten up, geez.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.