ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just noticed that my brakelights are not working. All of the other lights back there work just fine. I noticed that at the brake pedal switch the 2 wires going to it don't have power. I thought that they where always suppost to have power. I jiggled the brake light bulb sockets to see if they had a bad conection but that didn't help. I would have probed around longer but it got dark. Please help me out here or give me some ideas.
Thanks
Its a '76

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: Crap! Brake lights have not been working for n

The stop lamps have their own fuse, third up on the right, 10 Amp. This is a constant on circuit so you should always have power at that fuse and one side of the stop lamp switch. The only other point to check would be both Black w/ Yellow at connector "C-2" above the fuse box.

ConorP

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Check each of the wires to chassis ground. One of them should read 12v. Although checking to the other wire may show 12v it's not showing you if the circuit is ok.

The tail, stop, reverse, and turn signals all have the black wire attached to the lights grounding at the same point as the fuel tank sending unit. 73's and up also had the rear window defrost grounding at the same point.

Also do a check on your stop light switch. Just put a continuity meter on each of the two wires coming out of the switch. If you register a circuit, i.e. continuity, with your foot OFF the pedal, you might need to adjust the switch. Depress the plunger on the switch and see if the light goes off. If it does NOT then your switch is bad.

If however you aren't getting power from one of the wires to ground, then you need to check your fuse. Also check the condition of your hazard switch, as the stop light switch also connects to it as well as the turn signal switch.

My 2¢

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the info. I'll check all that stuff when I get home. As for Madeline Michele I had to take out the brake light warning relay cause it fried and that bright little light was always on so there for it does not come on when you first start the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.