ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i'm out puttin around in my 76' 280 and all of the sudden grinding, vibration, etc. i thought it was the throw out bearing but after inspecting i realized that the fan/alt belt pulley was just slipping on what looks like the harmonic balancer....
is it the whole balancer or can the pulley be replaced?
do it from under the front of the car??

G

·
0 Posts
I can't speak from Z experience but from other cars I have worked on you have to replace the whole unit. I believe they are actually two pieces pressed on to each other with a rubber bushing in between the two pieces. I remember on an MGB I had, I set the balancer in some gunk cleaner overnight. When I got it the next day it had seperated. Guess the cleaner was too strong. Anyway, a new (used) one will put you back on the road. Good luck. john

·
Registered
142 Posts
the pulley is seperated by a piece of rubber between were the crank is bolted to and wer the belts are you can get it from the top or bottom 1/2 hr tops

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yup~ gotta replace the crank pulley. You might have to rent
a puller to get the old one off. Sometimes they come off easy.
I would use one from a 79 or older as they were made better.
Depending on the size of the puller,you might have to lift
up the radiator out of the way.Be carefull when putting it back
on as there is a key that slides into the groove on the crankshaft-pulley.
Ron

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have intimate experience with the same problem since my son over reved his 79 280ZX a while back and his sheared as well. I replaced his with the one off my spare 75 motor.

Now, fact is some of these come off easy and some fight you all the way. His ZX never gave up being a bitch till the last 1/4" of it was hanging off the end of the crank. Here are a few tips:

Save the busted and scraped knuckles and just pull the radiator from the get go and be done with it. Use a high quality puller. The hub of the balancer has two 8mm tapped holes that are the attachment point for your puller. Make sure you use high grade (8 or above) bolts otherwise if this is a tight one you will just pull the threads off the bolts when you start cranking down on the puller. Since you don't care about this balancer anymore in addition to the bolts clamp the frame of the puller to the pulley of the balancer with the biggest vise grips you can find and clamp them on tight. I even needed to add some heat to the hub from a propane torch before mine would even budge.

Now, i have taken them off other engines and had them literally slide off and then there was the one on my sons that fought me tooth and nail. Hope this helps ya, good luck..............

Charles

·
Registered
183 Posts
could be a sign of bigger things to come

could be a sign of bigger (worse) things to come, for me when my pulley came apart, it was because my crank arm was on it's way south, not balanced, due to a worn out rod bearing, I hope this isn't the case for you my friend, keep your fingers crossed---Jerry

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: could be a sign of bigger things to come

Naw,
Typical of a car thats 25+ years old. Sometimes a oil leak will help to break
down the rubber. That and jammin on da gears help.
Just use a 79+ harmonic balancer and you'll be better off.
I pulled one from a 79 at the bone yard for $5. It just tapped off with a hammer.
So far so good..
oh.. rented a puller from Pep Boys for $7.
no biggie, just do it.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.