ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The crankshaft bolt direction is righty tighty....lefty loosey right?...cause im tryin to get this B**** off but she aint movin i think i need more leverage.

Post Edited (May 22, 12:03pm)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Whether you have to borrow or even rent one, get an air impact. Your chore will be over in seconds and you won't even break a sweat. Much better than banging up you and the car. It will be tight against the radiator, but depending on the tool brand/model you should have no trouble. Slide a piece of card board in there if you are worried about bending the rad fins.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Someone else will have to answer the thread-direction question. I am drawing a blank.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks zoobee....preciate it....can i rent it from like advance auto or autozone?

1986 300zx....timing work in progress

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I haven't rented from Azone in awhile, but I did get a gear-puller from them once. They don't seem to promote it on their website, but it's worth a call or a short trip.

I assume you do have access to a compressor? :)

Can I also assume you are planning on replacing the whole list of parts that lurk beneath on a T-belt job?

A/C COMPRESSOR BELT
ALTERNATOR BELT
CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL (QTY 2)
CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET PLATE
POWER STEERING PUMP BELT
TENSIONER SPRING
THERMOSTAT GASKET
THERMOSTAT
TIMING BELT
TIMING BELT TENSIONER
WATER PUMP
WATER PUMP GASKET

From memory, I purchased the Tensioner engine block stud as well. Believe me, this will be the best $222 you will spend on the car. It's just one of those no-brainer never have a better chance than now kind of things. I can't recall which one, but there is also a sensor down in the frontal area that I also replaced. Basically the whole front face of your engine will be nice and new.

I can 90% guarantee that your passenger side cam seal will be leaking, so at least do those. If you do go the full freshen-up route, you may have a seized crankshaft sprocket. Mine was, and I had to destroy it to get it off, but a replacement was pretty cheap from Nissan.

The entire list above is available from Courtesy as a kit:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...n=PROD&Store_Code=CP&Product_Code=Z31-TBKITA5

Have fun!

·
Registered
567 Posts
here's a tricked I have used before. I dont recommend it cuz it can damage stuff but then again... I dont care that much. I put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and wedged it onto the ground. Then just poped the starter over once. It breaks the nut loose easily. Oh yeah pull your coil wire first. You just want to pop the car over once or twice. you can probably damage your starter or flywheel teeth this way but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Thx Red O.

Helpful info.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I hate when people say righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

This obviously depends on where you are mounting the wrench.

If you have the wrench pointing up, it's correct. But if you have the wrench pointing down, it's backwards.

clockwise = tighten
counter clockwise = loosen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.