ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks like trouble just waiting to happen-is that thing touching the crank too? Just go with a windage tray. 40 years of proof? How come I've never heard of them?

Post Edited (Nov 11, 5:27pm)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
crank scrapers are for wanting to get every last available bit of HP out of an engine. most of the time they are a real PITA to keep from messing up an engine. They are always on Ebay for sale.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I have never seen a crank scraper that was attached to the main bearing caps. Myself I think I would pass on that part. I dont like the idea of a part being mounted with the main bearing bolts or studs if you have them.

For the most part a scraper is really not needed. I went with the comp pan and the scraper, and the oil pickup trap because of the acceleration of the car was throwing the oil away from the oil pump pickup. I could see the oil gauge fluxuate(I have a mechanical gauge, not the stock gauge) and that was a very good indication oil was hitting the crank as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I am not sure why you have not heard of them. The current Dodge SRT-4 has one as stock equipment.

If you look at the rules for many circle tracks you will see that scrapers are restricted -- that is because they are an unfair advantage in low-dollar racing. They really have been around for a very, very long time.

We just got back an additional dyno report from a professional shop that builds engines (in this case a Honda B16). This scraper was installed in an engine that already has a full windage tray and it still increased hp:

"Kevin, I just did a back-back on a B-16, well almost back-back, it was a week apart as I ordered the scraper after dynoing the engine. I do not give out numbers as that is the customers perogitive and I have not asked. But before 6000 RPM there was a 1 1/2- 2 % gain and after 6000-8900 RPM the gaines averaged 2 1/2 %. If I had used the orig. oil that had over 25 pulls and more warm-up time than new oil I should have seen alittle more. Both were 10-40 Valvoline and Honda filters. Send me some info on the Teflon ones. Doing a B-18c"

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1040680&page=6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.