ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I start the old 78 this morning, and the charge light is on. And I hear rattling. So I pop the hood, and one of the crank pulleys is loose. The first one, that drives the water pump and alternator. I can wabble it around, behind the ac pulley. So what do I do?? Do I need a new pulley assembly?? Is this expensive?? Thanks. The pulley still turns the pump and alt, but barely.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: I have the same problem

> SO I start the old 78 this morning, and the
> charge light is on. And I hear rattling. So
> I pop the hood, and one of the crank pulleys
> is loose. The first one, that drives the
> water pump and alternator. I can wabble it
> around, behind the ac pulley. So what do I
> do?? Do I need a new pulley assembly?? Is
> this expensive?? Thanks. The pulley still
> turns the pump and alt, but barely.
I had the same thing happen to me when I put a timing chain on my car.The harmonic balancer wobbles and slips .On my car the key groove is now messed up so you might want to look for this on your car.I bought a new one for it thinking this would fix it but the next day it did the same thing.My motor now has 2 woodrif keys in the oil pan.On my car I am going to put a new crank and balancer in the car ,this should fix the problem.If your key hole is messed up you will probably have to do the same thing ,because you can't fix it without the crank out of the car.If you were to machine the crank you would need to get a special harmonic balancer because the end of the crank would be too small.That is why I 'am just going to get a new crank and balancer.

p.s hope this makes sense.

[email protected]

jason

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, makes sense, but...

Just the grove part on the pulley has busted off. The part that actually connects to the crank is still intact. I havent yet started to tear into it. The pulley for AC still turns fine, just the alt and water pump pulley has broken free.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, makes sense, but...

Just the grove part on the pulley has busted off. The part that actually connects to the crank is still intact. I havent yet started to tear into it. The pulley for AC still turns fine, just the alt and water pump pulley has broken free. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, never took that part apart before.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
> SO I start the old 78 this morning, and the
> charge light is on. And I hear rattling. So
> I pop the hood, and one of the crank pulleys
> is loose. The first one, that drives the
> water pump and alternator. I can wabble it
> around, behind the ac pulley. So what do I
> do?? Do I need a new pulley assembly?? Is
> this expensive?? Thanks. The pulley still
> turns the pump and alt, but barely.
Hi, I have a simular problem with my 80 280ZX, I'm shreding fan belts at least two a month from the alt, I've stretched a belt 2. The alt stops turning and the battery goes dead (I cant drive the car at night), first it will start to slip, then loose all power. I've taken the braket top and bottom out cleaned them and reinstalled but it looks like the alt is sticking out too far. Anyone have this problem before I dont know what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.