ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here it is i been tryin to diagnose my crank no start condition. so i go out this morning to go to work and my car wont start. looked at all my fuses as they are all good. checked for spark and im not getting it.Fuel pump is not even kicking on..dome lights i noticed stopped working about same time as this condition started.. tried taking my distributor cap off but one of the screws seem to be frozen on so i have to spray it with some lubricant to break it loose.. im gettin frustrated with this ...

any help would be helpful , thanks...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Have you checked the basics? It almost sounds like your battery just has a hair of juice left after, perhaps, your alternator died. You didn't state whether or not you've been through these basics but they are always the best place to start - they are 90%+ of the causes.

Post Edited (Mar 11, 10:46am)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah i have full battery power,all interior acessories are in working condition only thing thats not is teh dome lights ...

yah i agree most of the time its something so simple when looking for a problem.. a dead alternator wouldnt cause the distributor to loose spark and fuel pump to not kick on...

would the crank angle sensor eliminate both those things???

·
Registered
21 Posts
CAS will cause no spark(but only one of a few other things it could be)..not sure about the fuel pump. Have you taken the fuel line off to see if it is pumping?. Also, run your codes.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Another thing I thought of - I blew a fusable link once while I was being an idiot and it did almost exactly the same thing that you are describing. Double-check that fusable link (I can't remember exactly where it was as it was years ago but it is one of the fuse boxes with the white labels on the top.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yah i just came from outside and pulled out a fusible link i dont know if its blown or not but im gunna jumper the connections without the link and see what happens .....

oh and this problem started after two wires from the radio wiring harness touched together and sparked so i know it did sumthing... would this blow the fusible link?

im sure its not getting fuel i pulled the fuel line off and put it in a bottle then cranked it over and still no fuel..

Post Edited (Mar 11, 12:21pm)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
TuRbOZ31ZeD -

YES!! When I blew my fusable link it was because I put the battery wires on backwards after purchasing a new battery (start laughing and ridiculing here). It sounds like you did basically the same thing. Doing so will break your fusable link which is there to protect your electrical system against such occurences.

I also had very similar symptoms.

Definitely check your fusable link. If you are not sure if it is broken or not just go buy another one and swap it in there. If it doesn't work - take it back - I've done it before.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
may be. I once shorted a few wires in the alarm in my 86 while putting in guages, and that blew like 3 fusible links. it was late on a sunday so I had to rush to a pick n pull to get new ones. but it worked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok im probably gonna be going to buy a couple new fusible links...

i didnt put my cables on wrong lol ... my friend did that same thing though he told me and it blew his fusible link also ...

would a regular jumper wire work just to see if it will crank over and start?

i might have blown some fusible links just from the 2 wires in tha radio wiring harness...

Post Edited (Mar 11, 12:25pm)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Not sure if what you are suggesting will work or not. From what I remember I could tell by looking at the fusable link that it was blown. Make sure that you take a close look at it - you may be able to tell - it has been years since I have looked at one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it should work using a regular jumper wire but if anything blows its gunna mess shyt up since there is no fusible link there... im gunna go try this ill let you guys know and thanks for the suggestions..

·
Registered
657 Posts
if thats not it, take alook next to the battery....... there are two relays in the fender....... green is the main relay... this supports the fuel pump, ignition coil, etc. if you have a factory service manual it will tell you how to test it.....or im sure somone on here can tell you how to test... i dont believe they have it in haynes....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok just came from outside and i tested the continuity of each fusible ink and every wire had continuity none over 15 ohms which tells me that all the fusible links are good and supplying power....

i dont have a service manual ,hopefully someone know how to test it or ill figure it out,i do have dome lights i think i just didnt have the key turned on last night ......

Post Edited (Mar 11, 1:13pm)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.