ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '77 cranks VERY strongly, and there IS fuel getting to the cylinders. It will (not bang) go 'clunk clunk clunk' and kick out a little smoke every now and then, but wont turn over. The only thing i can think of is the positioning of the spark plug wires from the distributor cap. I have them in 1-5-3-6-2-4 counter-clockwise order with the 1 plug at just below the left hold-down clip for the distributor cap.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Your firing order of the plugs is ..... correct..... but first rotate your crank by hand or with a remote starter button and after you are at TDC or thereabouts take off the distributor cap and check for certain that the number one clyinder is indeed pointing at the number one cylinder spark plug lead corresponding to the #1 at the distributor cap.
Standing in front of the engine... if you could remove the hood or pretend it is not there.... your firing order going toward the passengers side of engine starting whereever #1 cylinder is actually lined up from the TDC mark at crank pulley and the #1 lead at the dist cap ... then your wires should be as follows : 142635 ... this I personally think of as "clockwise" but if you are not firing right now then your #1 and according plug wires to your dist are indeed wrong. Goodluck. shane-

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
keep in mind...

that the injection system shuts down if the battery voltage drops below 8V (slow cranking!) during cranking.
Enno

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.